Getting your CDL
To get your CDL you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a basic New Jersey driver license (Class D)
- Have 20/40 vision in each eye (with or without glasses)
- Be able to recognize red, green and amber colors
- Be physically fit*
Federal law requires commercial drivers to carry a medical examiner's fitness statement at all times and renew it every two years. Download the Medical Examination Report
[60k pdf] before your appointment.
Commercial license and endorsement fee
The cost of the four-year CDL is $42 and $2 for each endorsement. An applicant’s first CDL will be prorated to expire with any current basic license. Applicants without a basic New Jersey passenger driver license (Class D) should factor in the $24 fee for the Class D license.
Commercial licensing fee
The cost of a CDL permit is $125 for knowledge, endorsement, and road tests. The permit fee includes payment for medical form review, background check results and data exchange with Federal driver monitoring systems.
: Medical or background check results can lead to commercial license disqualification. Disqualification does not make an applicant eligible for permit fee refund
- Study ahead; read the CDL Manual
- Visit your local MVC Agency
Pass the 6 Point ID Verification; you must present a Social Security card for an initial commercial permit
- Pay $125 CDL permit fee (non-refundable). For your convenience, MVC Agencies accept American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash
- Take the CDL knowledge test and the CDL road test as required
CDL applicants under 21 years old may only travel within New Jersey and may not receive HAZMAT or passenger endorsements.
The following do not need a CDL for their purpose:
- Taxi drivers (carrying less than eight passengers) and ride-sharing van drivers
- Operators of rescue or first-aid squad vehicles
- Farmers hauling their own products and equipment within 150 miles of their farms
- Non-civilian operators of military equipment
- Operators of construction equipment not designed for operation on public roads
- Operators of recreational vehicles, provided the vehicle is being operated only for personal use
Lost or stolen permits
Visit an MVC Agency to replace a CDL permit: