More More

Military CDL Skills Waiver Program FAQ

Who is eligible to receive the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver?

  • Applicants who are Active, Reserve, or discharged military personnel within the the 12 months and have both of the following are eligible.
    • Valid NJ driver’s license and a current or expired military CDL license 

What do I need to qualify for the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver?

  • You will need all of the following documents in order to qualify for the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver:
    • A valid NJ driver’s license
    • A current or expired Military CDL License (within the last 12 months)
    • 6 Points of ID including a valid NJ Class D Driver’s License, Social Security number and proof of home address
    • A completed application for Military CDL Skills Test Waiver certified by the commanding officer’s name/rank
    • A CDL Holder Self-Certificate
    • A Medical Examiner’s Certificate

Do I need to be active military when I apply?

  • Although you do not have to be currently active military, an applicant must be either employed, or have been employed within the last 12 months, in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

What CDL Class license can I get with the waiver?

  • You can only apply for a Class A or Class B without a School bus, Passenger or a Hazardous Material endorsement.  You may add these endorsements later.

Can I get a Class B school bus license?

What if my commanding officer is stationed overseas?

  • Your records are accessible on the military database and any commanding officer can retrieve the required information in order to complete the forms.

Where can I get the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Form?

  • The Military CDL Skills Test Waiver, CDL Holder Self-Certificate and Medical Examiner’s Certificate can be found on the MVC website under forms and/or on the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver page.

Can I get the waiver if I have an out of state driver’s license?

  • No. If you do not have a valid NJ Class D license and a CDL Military License, the waiver does not apply.

Do I need to purchase a permit?

  • Yes. You will still need to purchase a CDL permit.

Do I need to take a written test?

  • Yes. You must pass the applicable written knowledge test.

Do I need to take a vision test?

  • Yes.  All applicants need to pass a vision screening test. An applicant must have 20/40 vision with or without corrective lenses in both eyes and you must be able to distinguish between red, green and amber lights.

Can I use the permit to add endorsements that are not covered under the waiver?

  • Yes. The permit is good for 6 months, once you get your CDL License you can use the permit to take other written and road tests during the remaining time left on the permit.

Can I go to any MVC office to process the waiver?

  • No. You must go to an MVC agency that offers driver testing, please check our website for the location closest to you.

Will I receive my new CDL License the same day that I take and pass my written test?

  • Yes. As long as you pass the written test, vision test, bring all the required completed documents and provide the proper identification, you will get your CDL license the same day.

Can I transfer my NJ CDL to another state?

  • Yes. CDL requirements adhere to federal guidelines that all states must follow.