Military CDL Skills Waiver Program FAQ's
Who is eligible to receive the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver?
- Applicants who are Active, Reserve, or discharges military personnel, within the last 90 days and have both of the following are eligible.
- Valid NJ driver’s license and a current or expired military CDL license
What do I need to qualify for the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver?
- You will need all of the following documents in order to qualify for the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver:
- A valid NJ driver’s license
- A current or expired Military CDL License (within 90 days)
- 6 Points of ID including a valid NJ Class D Driver’s License, Social Security number and proof of home address
- A completed application for Military CDL Skills Test Waiver certified by the commanding officer’s name/rank
- A CDL Holder Self-Certificate
- A Medical Examiner’s Certificate
Do I need to be active military when I apply?
- Although you do not have to be currently active military, an applicant must be either employed, or have been employed within the last 90 days, in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle.
What CDL Class license can I get with the waiver?
- You can only apply for a Class A or Class B without a School bus, Passenger or a Hazardous Material endorsement. You may add these endorsements later.
Can I get a Class B school bus license?
What if my commanding officer is stationed overseas?
- Your records are accessible on the military database and any commanding officer can retrieve the required information in order to complete the forms.
Where can I get the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Form?
- The Military CDL Skills Test Waiver, CDL Holder Self-Certificate and Medical Examiner’s Certificate can be found on the MVC website under forms and/or on the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver page.
Can I get the waiver if I have an out of state driver’s license?
- No. If you do not have a valid NJ Class D license and a CDL Military License, the waiver does not apply.
Do I need to purchase a permit?
- Yes. You will still need to purchase a CDL permit.
Do I need to take a written test?
- Yes. You must pass the applicable written knowledge test.
Do I need to take a vision test?
- Yes. All applicants need to pass a vision screening test. An applicant must have 20/40 vision with or without corrective lenses in both eyes and you must be able to distinguish between red, green and amber lights.
Can I use the permit to add endorsements that are not covered under the waiver?
- Yes. The permit is good for 6 months, once you get your CDL License you can use the permit to take other written and road tests during the remaining time left on the permit.
Can I go to any MVC office to process the waiver?
- No. You must go to an MVC agency that offers driver testing, please check our website for the location closest to you.
Will I receive my new CDL License the same day that I take and pass my written test?
- Yes. As long as you pass the written test, vision test, bring all the required completed documents and provide the proper identification, you will get your CDL license the same day.
Can I transfer my NJ CDL to another state?
- Yes. CDL requirements adhere to federal guidelines that all states must follow.