Vehicles exempt from inspection
Changes effective August 1, 2010: emissions check only
Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.
The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):
- Historic motor vehicles
- Collector motor vehicles
- Approved Collector Vehicles which are less than 25 years old
- 100% Electric vehicles
- Motorized bicycles
- Farm tractors and traction equipment
- Farm machinery and implements
- Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
- In-transit construction equipment
- Diesel-fueled motor vehicles having a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more that are required to be inspected by the owner or lessee
- Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
- School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
- Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State Contractor equipment in transit
- All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van , farmer or farm truck except buses.
- All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 9,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses.
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
- At least 25 years old
- Specially registered and display QQ plates
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
- Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
- Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
- Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
- Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
- Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
- You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
Submit completed application to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680