The road test allows the driver to demonstrate an understanding of safe driving by adhering to the rules of the road.
As of August 31, 2016
- You may schedule your road test online. If you are unable to use our online services, please call (609) 292-6500 or visit a driver testing center.
- A safety specialist will accompany you while driving in an off-road testing area or on a public road course
- The test will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes
- Backup cameras and parking sensors that have been installed on a motor vehicle will now be permitted to be used during a road test.
What skills are tested?
What to bring to a road test
- Driving in reverse
- Stopping at appropriate signs
- Nearing corners or intersections
- Stopping smoothly
- Sitting properly
- Turning around
- Steering properly
- Parallel parking
- Yielding to right-of-way
- The same identification you used to obtain a permit
- Valid examination permit
- An accompanying licensed driver
- License plate decals. Red, reflective decals must be on both plates for vehicle used for road test of permit drivers under age 21
A registered vehicle with current inspection sticker and insurance card. Vehicle cannot have a center console unless the emergency brake is accessible from the passenger seat. Examiner must be able to reach either the foot brake or parking brake
- Rental cars are only acceptable if the driver taking the test is included on the rental contract as an additional driver and is of contract age
- Rental of a driving school auto is permitted
- 6 point ID and address requirements
* Road test for agricultural license MUST be taken in a vehicle with agricultural plates.
When you pass the road test
The examiner will give you an authorization slip in addition to your permit to get your license at an MVC Agency.
What if you fail the road test?
Possible reasons why your vehicle will cause you to fail
- You must wait at least two weeks before taking the test again
- If you fail more than twice, MVC may require you to wait six months before taking the road test again
- It is deemed unsafe or unsuitable for a road test
- It has an improper, expired, or no inspection sticker
- Equipment in the vehicle prevents the examiner from reaching the foot or parking brakes
- It is a self-parking vehicle
- There is a defect or condition that affects the safe operation of the vehicle including poor brakes, a defective parking brake, unsafe tires, unreasonably unclean interior, a fast engine idle or missing seatbelts