Motor vehicle registration
Most standard sedan passenger vehicles fall into this category. To register your vehicle with MVC, please do the following.
Visit an MVC Agency with your:
- Vehicle title
- Insurance company name and policy number
- Valid Social Security Number or proof of exemption
- Odometer reading
- Driver license number (Note: if you are unlicensed, acceptable proof of age and identity must be presented and you must be at least 17 years old.)
Complete an application for registration (Form BA-49)
If a New Jersey title for this vehicle has not been issued in your name, complete the sales tax information in the section that will be stamped on your title and pay the required sales tax and title fees:
If you purchase a vehicle in New Jersey, you must pay sales tax and complete the sales tax section stamped on the title. (Newly issued New Jersey titles will have a section to complete sales tax information preprinted on the document)
- Typically, if you purchase a vehicle from a New Jersey dealer, the sales tax will be included in the sales process. However, if you did not pay sales tax at the time of purchase, you will need to pay the sales tax based on the actual amount paid for the vehicle at an MVC Agency
- Some vehicles are exempt from sales tax
For your convenience, MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash.