To replace your damaged plates you must:
- Visit any local MVC Agency
- Present current registration certificate and required ID
- Pay $6 fee for standard plates or $11 for special interest or dedicated plates
You will be issued a replacement set. You can surrender your old plates to any MVC Agency
or Regional Service Center
. Or you can mail the plates to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Trenton Regional Service Center
P.O. Box 129
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0129
You can request duplicate plates if one or both plates have been damaged.
To obtain duplicate plates with the same plate number, visit your local MVC Agency or call MVC at (609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ at (888) 486-3339 to obtain an application (Form SP89) and a return envelope.
- Return the application with a copy of your registration and an $11 check or money order
- Duplicate plates will be sent to you through the mail in approximately 10 to 12 weeks. Please destroy or surrender the damaged plates to MVC when you receive your new ones
Note: If you surrender
your plates, do not enter the plate number into MVCs computer system – let them know they are duplicates.
Lost or stolen plates - any plate number
To replace lost or stolen plates with new ones containing the next available number:
- Make an official police report to the municipality where the plates were lost or stolen and obtain a copy of the report for your record
- Visit any MVC Agency and present the current registration certificate and proper identification
- Pay $6 fee for standard plates or $11 for special interest /dedicated replacements