"Special vehicle" titles
The following are designated as "special vehicles". They require titles but the process for titling them is unique.
Titles available at local agencies
Titles for the special vehicles listed below are issued by any local MVC agency:
Salvage titles available at select local agencies
- Vehicles purchased from the federal government
- Vehicles purchased from Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, including military servicemembers
- Homemade trailers
- Homemade boats
Visit the MVC Business Portal for full details on how to obtain a salvage title
Salvage titles are issued in:
- North Bergen
- Trenton (*mail only)
A SALVAGE TITLE WITH A "STOLEN" STOP
For the MVC to process a salvage title with a stolen stop on it, the following documentation must be submitted:
- An insurance listing sheet or letter, on insurance company letterhead, explaining that the vehicle for which a salvage titled is requested is an un-recovered theft and that a salvage title must be issued in order for the insurance company to close the claim associated with the loss.
- The insurance listing sheet or letter must be signed by an authorized representative of the insurance company and must include: the type of loss (unrecovered theft), the vehicle owner's name, and the year, make, make, and serial number of the vehicle reported as being stolen.
- Actual cash value of the vehicle on the insurance listing sheet.
- A copy of the police report issued by the police department listed on the stolen stop.
- An original NJ title, with all areas properly filled out.
- A properly completed Power of Attorney; if applicable.
Titles available from Central Office
Titles for the special vehicles listed below are only issued by mail from the MVC Central Office in Trenton:
- Reconstructed vehicles-dune buggies, kit cars, etc.
- Glider kits
- Vehicles with missing VINs
- Vehicles registered to the military
For further information on titles available from the MVC Central Office in Trenton, call (888) 486-3339 ext. 5064 toll-free in New Jersey or (609) 292-6500 ext. 5064 from out-of-state.