More More

Temporary registration

If you purchase a vehicle in New Jersey and are not a resident of the state and plan to transport and register it in your home state, you must get temporary registration to transfer the vehicle out of New Jersey state lines.

Visit an MVC Agency to complete an application for temporary vehicle registration (Form BA-49). You will need to provide the title verifying the out-of-state address and proof of insurance. A $5 fee will be applied.

You will be issued a 20-day temporary non-resident registration that cannot be renewed.

Note: temporary registrations are valid for use only in the continental United States.