A vehicle is considered new if it has never had a title issued to anyone other than the dealer prior to the customer's purchase.
Leased vehicles are considered new if the initial retail purchaser is the leasing company and there are no prior sales or leases.
A passenger vehicle signifies that it is used and designed for transportation of passengers (not including omnibuses and school buses). Motorcycles are not considered passenger vehicles.
If you are registering your vehicle for the first time in New Jersey, you will receive a one-year registration for used cars.
The registration fee will vary depending on the type of vehicle.
Four-year Accelerated Registration Program
The MVC implemented the Four-Year Accelerated Registration Program on October 1, 2004, requiring all owners of new passenger vehicles to pay the registration fee in full for the four-year period.
If you have a new leased vehicle you must pay the registration fee for the term of your lease. If your lease agreement extends beyond the normal calendar year expiration period (38-month leases as opposed to 36 months), you are also required to pay for the next full year’s registration period (48 months).
Refunds will not be given for any unused portion of the four-year registration The Four-Year Accelerated Registration Program includes all vehicles purchased for business use unless the equity in an unexpired registration is transferred.
You can transfer your registration to a new vehicle and continue to use the same license plates. However, the name and code on the new registration must appear exactly as it did on your old vehicle's registration. The transfer fee is $4.50 plus the prorated weight class registration fee.
Pre-owned vehicle registration
The following sections contain instructions on how to register a pre-owned (used) vehicle; title information is also included for your convenience. Please read all information carefully to determine which set of instructions applies to your situation.
Commercial Driver License registration
If you are looking for Commercial Vehicle and Registration Iinformation, please click here. For Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional Trailer Registration please click here.
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned in New Jersey
You will need the following:
- The title properly assigned (includes seller/buyer name and address and signatures, the date of sale, purchase price, and buyer’s driver's license number)
- A Vehicle Registration Application (Form BA-49 found only at motor vehicle agencies).
- A Power of Attorney (POA) if applicable.
- A POA is needed only if someone other than the purchaser is signing the documents on behalf of the purchaser.
- The purchaser’s actual driver's license or identification document.
- A copy is acceptable if a POA is being used.
- Proof of New Jersey insurance.
- Payment fee for titling:
- $60 for a standard vehicle.
- $85 for a financed vehicle with one lien.
- $110 for a financed vehicle with two liens.
- The MVC accepts American Express®, Visa® card, MasterCard® card, check, money order or cash.
- Payment fee for registration; as noted above this will vary depending on the type of vehicle. License plates are included.
- Payment for the sales tax fee. If you need assistance with calculating the tax, please call the New Jersey Division of Taxation at 609-984-6206.
- If the vehicle is leased/financed, then you will also need the lien holder’s information and financing statement Financing Statement/Procedure to Add a lien (Form OS/SS-85c).
- If the purchaser is a company or business an Entity Identification Number (EIN – formerly corpcode) add link to new EIN page and a Federal Tax ID number are needed.
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned in a state that issues titles
- You will need all of the items (10 total) listed in the previous section, plus the following:
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned in a state that does not issue titles
- You will need all of the items listed in the first section (10 total), plus the following:
- A pencil tracing or a printed-out photograph of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- A notarized statement from the seller that must include all of the following information about the vehicle: year manufactured; make; VIN; and price of purchase.
- The last registration card that the seller has for the vehicle showing that the vehicle was registered and owned by the seller.
- Completed Application for Certificate of Ownership (Form OS/SS-7).
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned and purchased at an auction
- You will need all of the item listed in the first section (10 total), plus the following:
- The current title with a sales tax stamp, if sales tax has already been paid.
- If vehicle is non-titled, the last previously issued registration document and the bill of sale.
- An additional Power of Attorney (POA) issued to the auction-house from the dealer.
- Dealer reassignment documentation, if applicable.
- A purchase order if there is no New Jersey Dealer Tax Stamp on the assigned title.