This applies if you are not a resident of New Jersey and:
- you purchase a vehicle in New Jersey; and
- you plan to transport the vehicle to your home state, you must get a temporary New Jersey registration in order to drive the vehicle while in New Jersey or to transfer it outside NJ state lines.
Visit a motor vehicle agency to obtain and complete a Vehicle Registration Application (Form BA-49 found only at motor vehicle agencies).for temporary non-resident registration of your vehicle.
You will also need to bring with you all of the following:
- an original New Jersey Certificate of Title assigned to you and reflecting your out-of-state address;
- proof of your out-of-state address;
- proof of insurance for the vehicle;
- $5.00 fee for the temporary non-resident registration; and
- Identification for yourself as the vehicle owner, i.e. out of state driver’s license or non-driver Identification (ID) card, whichever is applicable.
You will be issued a 20-day temporary non-resident registration that cannot be renewed.
Temporary registrations are only valid for use in the continental United States.