How does this search work?
- This search is sorted by county and municipality.
- To list all municipalities in all counties, enter no search criteria and click Start Search.
- To restrict the search to a subset of municipalities, complete one or more of the search options as needed.
- County: Click on a county name. This will restrict the list to a single county.
- Municipality: Type all or part of a municipality name. This will restrict the list to only those municipalities with the requested text in the name. The search text can be anywhere in the name. For example, 'beach' will list Bradley Beach Boro, Beach Haven Boro, Beachwood Boro and others.
- Legislative District: Type the legislative district number. This will restrict the list to a single legislative district. For maps and more information about legislative districts, see www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/districtnumbers.asp.
What do the columns and codes mean?
- Municipality: The official name of the town, township, city, borough, or village.
- County: County in which the municipality is located.
- 1968 Code: Standard four-digit identification code designating the county and municipality (per Department of Treasury Directive No 3 dated June 1, 1968). The original numbering scheme was based on an alphabetical list within county. Newly-formed municipalities are given the next available number and codes are not reassigned when a municipality changes its name and thus its alphabetical position in the list.
- Treasury Code: Standard four-digit identification code designating the county and municipality issued by the Division of Taxation. The numbering scheme is based on an alphabetical list within county. Codes are re-assigned for some or all municipalities within a county if a municipality is newly-formed, incorporated, or renamed and alters the alphabetical sequence of the list.
- Federal Code: Standard eight-digit identification code designating the county and municipality issued by the Federal Census Bureau. The numbering scheme is based on an alphabetic list within county. The first two numbers represent the state, the next three represent the county and the final three represent the municipality. The initial numbering sequence skipped two digits for each county and five digits for each municipality so that newly-formed or renamed municipalities can be assigned an available number without affecting the existing code assignments.
- Legislative District: Legislative district to which the municipality is assigned. NOTE: Some municipalities in New Jersey have multiple legislative districts.
How can I get this data?
You can download the data used for this search. The data is stored as a text file delimited with tabs. Click on /infobank/muni.dat or /nj/muni.dat.
Depending on your browser, the text source file may be displayed on your browser screen or the standard Windows save dialog box will be displayed. If the data is displayed, use File, Save As on your menu bar. Use the standard Windows save dialog box to place a copy to your PC.