Ever since Thomas Edison, the "Wizard of Menlo Park," changed the way the world communicates, New Jersey has been at the forefront of the information technology industry. The State boasts one of the most concentrated high-tech industry clusters in the U.S. In fact, New Jersey ranks number 2 in the U.S. for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) employees, who work for NJ ICT companies, ranging from start-ups to industry leaders like Verizon New Jersey, Inc., AT&T, Telcordia Technologies, Inc., TelX, DRS Technologies and SRI International (Sarnoff).
- We have one of the most extensive broadband networks in the U.S. More than 99% of the State’s population has access to wireline service. Nearly 63% also have access to fiber optic service. It’s no wonder that New Jersey is ranked the #3 most connected state in the U.S. by BroadbandNow.com. New Jersey’s also ranked number #6 by the Kauffman Information Technology & Innovation Institute for broadband communications.
- In addition to top-rated connectivity, companies in New Jersey have access to broadband speeds that are among the fastest in the nation. Nearly 99% of businesses can access wired broadband at speeds of 25 mbps or faster, and 96+% also have access to broadband 100 mbps or faster.
- The State's incentive grants, workforce training grants and tax exemptions make it an attractive place to create or retain jobs or relocate a business.
- A well-educated workforce offers a deep talent pool for high-tech industries. New Jersey consistently is among the 5 best states for educational excellence in CNBC’s annual Top States for Business rankings. From our highly-ranked universities to quality public school systems, New Jersey is one of the top undisputed education leaders.
- Access to higher education in technology includes programs at Rutgers University's School of Communication and Information (SC&I) and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
- Excellent resources for technology growth include TechLaunch LLC, http://techlaunch.com, the technology accelerator linking entrepreneurs with mentors, seed funding, investors and training, and the New Jersey Technology Council http://www.njtc.org
New Jersey consistently is among the 5 best states for educational excellence in CNBC’s annual Top States for Business rankings. From our highly-ranked universities to quality public school systems, New Jersey is one of the top undisputed education leaders.