- News, Events and Public Comment
- Commission, Councils and Committees
- SETC Commission
- Governance Committee
- Disability Issues Committee
- Council on Gender Parity in Labor and Education
- Health Care Workforce Council
- Performance Committee
- Planning Committee
- SCALES - State Council for Adult Literacy Education Services
- SESP - State Energy Sector Partnership Council
- Member Materials (password required)
- Shared Youth Vision Council
- NJ Businesses
- Organized Labor
- Local Workforce Investment Boards (WIBs)
- Partner Organizations
STATE ENERGY SECTOR PARTNERSHIP GRANT
Energize your workers - Invest in your future with a New Jersey Power Training Grant
SESP Postcard [pdf 811kb]
SESP Grant Initiative Overview [pdf 26kb]
Who Are We?
The State Energy Sector Partnership (SESP) Council is a sub-committee of the NJ State Employment and Training Commission (SETC).
What is Our Purpose?
The SETC received a $6 million grant from the US Department of Labor – Employment and Training Administration to support the growth and sustainability of the Energy industry in New Jersey, with a focus on Energy Efficiency (EE), Renewable Energy (RE) and other related areas.
Through this grant, the SETC can provide employee training assistance to approved applicants within and beyond the Energy industry, that are implementing procedures or processes that reduce operating costs and energy usage, increase competitiveness, and achieve overall reduction of their carbon footprint.
What’s the Timeframe?
The grant is a three year initiative begun in January 2010. Funding is available through January 2013.
This competitive grant program is being made available to the following organizations that work within and/or serve the Energy Efficiency or Renewable Energy industries.
- NJ businesses in the Energy Efficiency or Renewable Energy industries;
- NJ businesses that are implementing procedures or processes that reduce operating costs and energy usage, and increase competitiveness;
- Industry Associations within the Energy Efficiency or Renewable Energy industries;
- Labor and/or trade organizations within the Energy Efficiency or Renewable Energy industries; and
- Training Vendors, Community and Faith-Based Organizations
What Training is Available?*
The SESP grant provides 6-month contracts for training in the following areas:
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) Credentials – New and Existing Employees
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Credentials - New and Existing Employees
- Lean Implementation Certification – New and Existing Employees
- Opportunity Trust Fund (innovative programs focusing on identified industries) – New and Existing employees
- On-the-Job Training (OJT) – New Employees Only
* Training Providers must be licensed to provide the proposed programs/services.
What’s provided to Grantees?
- Tuition or Instructional Costs
- Testing Fees
- Wages (only relating to On-the-Job Training Opportunities)
Who Can Help? Regional Contact Information:
Northern Counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, City of Newark, Union, Passaic, Morris, Sussex and Warren
Vice President of Programs for Newark Alliance
973-596-6400 ext. 112
Central Counties: Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean and Somerset
Monmouth County Workforce Investment Board
Southern Counties: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester and Salem
Executive Director of the Office of Workforce Development for Cumberland/Salem Counties
Contracts have been awarded to upgrade the skills of many small- to medium-size employers within the EE and RE industries. Organized labor has also benefited from the training opportunities available through the SESP to train their current membership. The sixth cycle will award contracts to educational institutions as well as community based organizations to train and place individuals currently unemployed into green industry jobs.
How Do I Apply?
Competitive Notice of Grant Opportunities are released periodically. Applications must be submitted with one (1) original and four (4) copies to the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, PO Box 055, One John Fitch Way, Trenton, NJ 08625-0940. See the Notice of Grant Opportunity (NGO) for detailed submission instructions and dates.
NOTICE OF GRANT OPPORTUNITY: STATE ENERGY SECTOR PARTNERSHIP GRANT FOR NEW JERSEY TRAINING VENDORS SECTOR AFFILIATED UNIONS COMMUNITY AND FAITH-BASED ORGANIZATIONS - TRAINING OF UNEMPLOYED WORKERS [pdf 198kb]