Skip to main navigationSkip to News Headlines
NJ Division of Consumer Affairs
Global Navigation
Division of Consumer Affairs
The State of New Jersey Office of The Attorney General (Dept. of Law & Public Safety) The State of New Jersey NJ Home Services A to Z Departments/Agencies OAG Frequently Asked Questions
OAG Home
OAG Contact
Division of Consumer Affairs Alerts and Recalls
Division of Consumer Affairs Alerts and Recalls
Office of the Attorney General Homepage Division of Consumer Affairs, Director
Division of Consumer Affairs, Director
Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Division of Consumer Affairs
Division of Consumer Affairs Highlights
Division of Consumer Affairs Topics in a A-Z List Format
Office of Consumer Protection (OCP)
New Jersey Bureau of Securities
Office of Weights and Measures
Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Professions and Occupations List
Contact the Division of Consumer Affairs
Division of Consumer Affairs in Spanish
Division of Criminal Justice
Division on Civil Rights
Division of Gaming Enforcement
Division of Highway Traffic Safety
Division of Law
Juvenile Justice Commission
NJ Racing Commission
State Athletic Control Board
Division of NJ State Police
Victims of Crime Compensation Office
Subscribe to Buyer Beware Alerts
OPRA - Open Public Records Act
Download Free PDF Reader

Frequently Asked Question's

1.Does the Committee offer licensees the opportunity to have an Inactive License Status?

A. Yes. You can request inactive status when you renew your license by checking the appropriate box. In order to return to an active status, you must make application to the Advisory Committee. For details see N.J.A.C. 13:44C-2.2.

2.Can I reinstate my license if it has been expired for more than 5 years?

Yes. The regulations require that a person seeking reinstatement more than five years following the suspension of his/her license is required to complete the examination required for initial licensure, pay delinquent renewal fees, as well as a reinstatement fee, and document all jobs held during the period of suspension. For details see N.J.A.C. 13:44C-4.1(f). For a list of fees see N.J.A.C. 13:44C-2.2.

3. What happens if I am audited for my continuing education hours?

You will be asked to send in documentation of your 20 hours of Continuing Professional Education. This is required every two years. A form is available on this Web site to help you organize your continuing education information. You must have documentation that verifies your attendance at an approved continuing education program. See N.J.A.C. 13:44C-6.6 for details regarding acceptable sponsors. You may provide a certificate of attendance or a statement from the instructor. For further details concerning information that must be provided on the certificate, see N.J.A.C. 13:44C-6.3. Please remember that only 10 of the 20 hours required may be completed online.

4. Do I need to have an employment position to apply for a temporary license?

When applying for a temporary license you must have a Supervision Plan in place which meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:44C-5.2.  You would therefore have to have an employment position lined up.

5. If I have a temporary license,  must I notify the Committee if my supervisor or place of employment changes?

Any change in supervision, including supervisor, location or interruption of supervision, must be promptly reported to the Committee’s office

6. Is there an additional fee to transfer from a temporary license to a full license?

There is an application filing fee and a license fee, which totals $245.00

7. When do I need to start obtaining Continuing Education Units (C.E.U.’s)?

Your license to practice Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology must be renewed every two years.  At that time you will be required to document 20 hours of Continuing Professional Education if you were licensed within the first year of the licensing period; 10 hours if you were licensed after the first day of November of the second year of the licensing period,  or zero hours if you were licensed within 6 months of the expiration date.  See N.J.A.C. 13:44C-6-1-13:44C-6.5 for specifics on continuing education.

8. Can C.E.U.’s be carried over from one renewal to the next?

If you complete more than the necessary 20 hours you can carry over a maximum of five hours if those hours were earned during the six months prior to renewal.  See N.J.A.C. 13:44C6.4 for further details

9. How long do I have to maintain the continuing education records in my file?

You must retain the records for five years following the renewal period.  See N.J.A.C. 13:44C-6.3(e) for further information.

10. How do I know if the course that I am taking is approved for C.E.U.’s?

Continuing Professional Education hours must be related to the practice of audiology or speech-language pathology.  The hours must be accredited by the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education, or accredited or sponsored by a local, state or national audiology and speech-language pathology professional organization, local, state or federal education or health agency or a local, state or national medical, psychological, dental or similar professional organization.  Courses accepted for credit by the National Registry on Continuing Education or by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association will be given credit by the Committee. N.J.A.C. 13:44C-6.2 
To determine if a course is ASHA approved go to:


Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
NJ Home Logo
Divisional: DCA Home | Complaint Forms | Proposals | Adoptions | Contact DCA
Departmental: OAG Home | Contact OAG | About OAG | OAG News | OAG FAQs
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey
This page is maintained by DCA. Comments/Questions: email

Page last modified: