Skip to main navigationSkip to News Headlines
Global Navigation
Office of The Attorney General
The State of New Jersey Office of The Attorney General (Dept. of Law & Public Safety) The State of New Jersey NJ Home Services A to Z Departments/Agencies OAG Frequently Asked Questions
OAG Home
OAG Contact
Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Division of Consumer Affairs
Division of Criminal Justice
Public Corruption / Crime
Gang Awareness / Enforcement
Bias Crime / Bullying
Firearms / Violent Crime
Victim-Witness Assistance
Division on Civil Rights
Division of Gaming Enforcement
Division of Highway Traffic Safety
Division of Law
Juvenile Justice Commission
NJ Racing Commission
Division of NJ State Police
OPRA - Open Public Records Act
Division of Criminal Justice
Division of Criminal Justice
  How and When to Contact The Division
An Explanation of the Review and Referral Process for Correspondence from Citizens Regarding the Criminal Justice System
  Review Process I Referral Information  
  >> View brochure (24K pdf) plug-in  
  Referral Information  
  Civil Litigation  

The Attorney General and the Division of Criminal Justice receive many letters requesting that we intervene in civil litigation, or prosecute criminally a party with whom the letter writer is engaged in a civil lawsuit or dispute. We cannot intervene in civil litigation or disputes or change the outcome of your civil litigation in any way.

  If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a civil case, you may wish to discuss the possibility of filing an appeal with an attorney of your choice. If you need information on filing your own appeal, you may call the Clerk of the Appellate Division for help with pro se appeals at 609-292-4822.  
  Child Support  
  If your correspondence concerns child support, you may wish to contact the Child Support Enforcement Services Unit in the Administrative Office of the Courts. That unit can be reached at the following address:  
Child Support Enforcement Services
Probation Division
Administrative Office of the Courts
P.O. Box 987
Trenton, NJ 08625
  Complaints About Judges  
  If you feel that a judge has acted improperly in the course of adjudicating your case, you may contact the Supreme Court's Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct at the following address:  
Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct
c/o Administrative Office of the Courts
P.O. Box 037
Trenton, NJ 08625
  The Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct makes recommendations to the Supreme Court on matters concerning the conduct of judges. Its action, if any, will not change the outcome of your case. In order to affect the outcome of your case, you must pursue the civil remedies available to you, such as filing an appeal, or a motion for reconsideration or other post-judgment relief.  
  Election Complaints  
  Election complaints may be referred to:  
Department of Law and Public Safety
Division of Elections
P.O. Box 304
Trenton, NJ 08625-0304
  Non-Criminal Complaints About Local Government Officials Not Involved in Law Enforcement  
  Non-criminal complaints not involving elections about local government officials may be referred to:  
Department of Community Affairs
Division of Local Government Services
P.O. Box 803
Trenton, NJ 08625-0803
  Requests for Legal Advice  
  The Attorney General and the Division of Criminal Justice receive many letters from citizens requesting legal advice. We are not authorized to render legal advice to private citizens.  
  To obtain legal advice, you should contact a private attorney of your choice. If you are unable to afford a private attorney and meet income eligibility requirements, you may wish to contact:  
Legal Services of New Jersey, Inc.
P.O. Box 1357
Edison, NJ 08818-1357
  Letters from Inmates or Criminal Defendants  
  The Attorney General and the Division of Criminal Justice are representatives of the State in criminal matters. As such, our legal status is the same as that of the prosecutor in any criminal litigation in which you may be involved. This means that we cannot communicate with you except through your attorney. If you allege that your rights have been violated or if you have other concerns regarding your case, you should communicate those concerns to your attorney for appropriate handling.  
  Complaints or concerns about state prison facilities should be addressed to:  
Department of Corrections
Office of the Ombudsman
P.O. Box 863
Trenton, NJ 08625 -0863
  Letters Regarding Topics of Public Interest  
  Citizens often write to government officials with general comments or suggestions about the criminal justice system. We also receive many letters commenting on highly publicized cases, which the letter writer is not connected to in any way. If your letter falls into one of these categories, you should know that it has been read and considered by at least two professionals in the Division of Criminal Justice. In most cases, the letter is referred to the section or unit dealing with issues of the type discussed in your letter. Please be assured that the fact that your letter does not receive an additional response does not mean that your letter has had no impact. Letters from our citizens are an important means of keeping us informed of how the public views the criminal justice system, of where the system succeeds, and where it falls short. Information that we learn from reading your comments regarding the criminal justice system may influence policy decisions that will impact thousands of people.  
  Prior Letters  
  Often, citizens send the same letter or similar letters about the criminal justice system to more than one government official. Usually, all of the government officials receiving these letters refer them to the Attorney General and the Division of Criminal Justice. The letters are all assigned to the same Deputy Attorney General for review. Letters containing substantially the same questions or complaints as a prior letter will not be answered again.  
  Review Process I Referral Information I Top  
Office of The Attorney General Division of Criminal Justice Director
Division of Criminal Justice Director's Biography
DCJ Home Report A Crime
DCJ News Contact DCJ
About DCJ DCJ Employment
DCJ Frequently Asked Questions DCJ Grants
Proposed Rules DCJ Library
DCJ Bureaus / Sections / Units Services from A to Z
DCJ Law Enforcement Resources
Directives / Guidelines
NJ's Most Wanted Fugitives
Gang Awareness Initiative
NJ Sex Offender Registry
Insurance Fraud? Call: 877-55-FRAUD
Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
NJ Home Logo
Divisional: DCJ Home | Contact DCJ | Report A Crime | About DCJ | DCJ News | DCJ FAQs
Departmental: OAG Home | Contact OAG | About OAG | OAG News | OAG FAQs
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey
This page is maintained by OAG Communications. Comments/Questions: email or call 609-292-4925
OAG Home OAG Home more news...