DO I HAVE A GAMBLING PROBLEM?
Gamblers Anonymous has prepared this list of 20 questions
designed to help people determine whether they are
- Do you lose time from work or school due to gambling?
- Does gambling make your home life unhappy?
- Does gambling affect your reputation?
- Do you ever feel remorse after gambling?
- Do you ever gamble to get money with which to pay
debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
- Does gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or
- After losing do you feel you must return as soon as
possible and win back your losses?
- After a win do you have a strong urge to return and
- Do you often gamble until your last dollar is gone?
- Do you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
- Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
- Are you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal
- Does gambling make you careless of the welfare of
yourself or your family?
- Do you ever gamble longer than you have planned?
- Do you gamble to escape worry or trouble?
- Do you ever commit, or consider committing, an illegal
act to finance gambling?
- Does gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
- Do arguments, disappointments, or frustrations create
within you an urge to gamble?
- Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune
by a few hours of gambling?
- Do you ever consider self-destruction or suicide as a
result of your gambling?
Source: Gamblers Anonymous
Compulsive gamblers usually answer "yes" to at least seven of
these questions. If you think you have a gambling problem, you may want to contact either the Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey or Gamblers Anonymous.
If you or anyone you know has a gambling problem,