| Office of the Governor |
Governor Corzine Announces $78.75 Million in Transportation Grants to New Jersey Municipalities
Local aid will fund street improvement projects, relieve property taxes
(Trenton) - Governor Jon S. Corzine today announced the award of $78.75 million in New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) municipal aid grants (pdf 77k)to fund street improvement, rehabilitation and safety projects in 372 New Jersey towns, a move that will create jobs and help keep property taxes in check statewide.
“Rebuilding the state’s infrastructure, from roads to bridges to mass transit, is going to be central to both getting us out of the recession and positioning New Jersey to take advantage when the economy recovers,” said Governor Corzine. “This year’s municipal aid program will provide road improvements, property tax relief, and economic growth – three elements that are key to New Jersey’s turnaround and success.”
Municipal aid grants provide funding to municipalities that would otherwise devote local tax revenue to road improvement projects. Municipal governments maintain over 25,000 miles, or approximately 70 percent, of New Jersey's 36,000 miles of roadway. Local property taxes seldom provide sufficient funds for proper roadway repair and maintenance.
NJDOT invites municipalities to apply for municipal aid funding. The grant program covers a variety of projects, including road resurfacing, rehabilitation, reconstruction and signalization. Municipalities are encouraged to apply for funding for projects that support walking and biking as part of Governor Corzine’s Pedestrian Safety Initiative.
NJDOT allots each county a specific funding amount based on its population and road mileage and distributes funds to towns based on field investigations and engineering evaluations of proposed projects. NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when it awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project.