NJDOT anticipates commuter impacts with
new phase of
I-295 project in Burlington County
(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced major traffic pattern shifts for the ongoing construction and resurfacing project on I-295 in Burlington County, with capacity being reduced to two travel lanes in each direction over a 12-mile stretch of the roadway starting this weekend and continuing to late 2010.
Due to anticipated peak period congestion commuters are being encouraged to consider other routes as well as public transportation options.
Beginning Friday, June 18, NJDOT will shift all traffic to the southbound side of the roadway between interchange 45 in Westampton and interchange 57 in Bordentown Township with two travel lanes in each direction separated by concrete barrier. The roadway normally provides three lanes in each direction.
When the I-295 northbound resurfacing is completed later this summer, all traffic will be shifted to the northbound lanes with the same configuration of two lanes in each direction.
The following ramp closures will also begin June 18:
At Interchange 45, the eastbound and westbound ramps from Rancocas-Mt. Holly Road (CR 626) to I-295 northbound will remain closed until late summer.
• Motorists will use I-295 southbound to Exit 43A (Creek Road/CR 636 eastbound, Rancocas Woods), then take the ramp to I-295 northbound.
At Interchange 52, the ramps to and from I-295 northbound will be closed and detoured for about three weeks necessitating the following detours:
• Motorists from I-295 northbound to Florence Columbus Road (CR 656) will continue on I-295 northbound to Exit 56 (Rising Sun Road) then to I-295 southbound to Exit 52.
• Motorists from Florence-Columbus Road westbound (CR 656) to I-295 northbound will continue on Florence-Columbus Road (CR 656) to Route 130 northbound to I-295 northbound at Interchange 57. Signs on Route 130 northbound approaching Florence-Columbus Road will direct traffic bound for the Truck Stop on Rising Sun Road to continue on Route 130 north to Rising Sun Road.
• Motorists from Florence-Columbus Road eastbound (CR 656) to I-295 northbound will use I-295 southbound to Exit 47A to I-295 northbound.
• I-295 southbound motorists who would normally take the truck U-turn ramps at Exit 52A to double back on I-295 northbound to the Truck Stop on Rising Sun Road will take Exit 52B to Florence-Columbus Road (CR 656) to Route 130 north to Rising Sun Road.
Speed limits will be reduced to 50 miles per hour throughout the construction zone to promote safety.
Variable Message Signs will provide actual travel times through the construction zone and will be positioned to allow motorists to take advantage of up-to-the-minute information and alternate routes. Commuters are encouraged to consider alternate routes such as Route 206, Route 130, the New Jersey Turnpike. NJ TRANSIT’s RIVER Line and 409 bus route are available at www.njtransit.com
More information can be found on the I-295 Pavement Rehabilitation website or by calling 511 or visiting www.511nj.org for real-time travel information. Motorists may visit NJcommuter.com for ridesharing information or call 800-245-POOL to learn about carpooling options.
The $85 million project, which also includes repairing 12 bridge decks and installing new guide rail, is being accelerated with the goal of completion by the end of 2010.