coming to I-295/I-76
(Trenton) - The
New Jersey Department of Transportation
will aggressively tend to maintenance
needs of a one-mile stretch of I-295
at the interchange with I-76 over
two consecutive Friday nights as the
2012 Clean Up NJ campaign gets under
The intense cleanup will take place from 10 p.m. Friday, April 8 until 10 a.m. Saturday, April 9, and during the same hours the following Friday, April 15. The maintenance operations will require northbound I-295 traffic to be detoured during the April 8 cleanup and southbound I-295 traffic to be detoured during the cleanup the following weekend.
“Maintaining our highways in good condition promotes safety and sends a message that we take pride in our state,” NJDOT Commissioner James Simpson said. “I encourage all motorists to help keep the Garden State green by stowing trash until they can dispose of it properly.”
In connection with the start of the 2012 Clean Up NJ campaign, NJDOT maintenance crews attacked litter in central New Jersey last week along Route 1, Route 18 and I-287, and this week workers are cleaning sections of the I-78 corridor. Under Clean Up NJ, maintenance crews periodically are concentrated in specific locations for about a week to take care of all maintenance needs and make a noticeable improvement in the appearance of the corridor.
Crews will work overnight hours along I-295 to minimize the impact to motorists. Work includes litter pickup, graffiti removal, replacement of ten road signs, fixing damaged guide rail, cleaning storm water inlets, removing trees and overgrown vegetation and inspecting and repairing street lights. The work will take place from milepost 26.4 at the Essex Road overpass in Bellmawr to milepost 27.4 just south of County Route 658 in Mount Ephraim.
I-295 cleanup detours
On Friday, April 8 at 10 p.m., northbound I-295 motorists will be detoured to Route 130 North to Market Street (CR 634) to I-76 southbound to I-295 North.
Truck traffic will be diverted to Route 130 (Brooklawn Circle) toRiver Driveto Route 47 North and follow the Truck Route back to Route 130 North to Market Street to Route I-76 southbound to I-295 North.
- Motorists heading for the Walt Whitman Bridge traffic will be detoured to Route 130 North to I-76 North and to the bridge.
- Motorists on Route 45 northbound heading toI-295 northbound will be detoured to Route 130 northbound to I-76 southbound to I-295 northbound.
- Motorists on Route 47 heading to I-295 northbound will also be detoured to Route 130 northbound to I-76 southbound to I-295 northbound.
- Route 42 northbound at I-295 northbound will be detoured to Market Street to I-76 Southbound and back to I-295 northbound.
- Motorists on Broadway(CR 551) heading to I-295 northbound will be detoured to Route 130northbound to I-76 southbound to I-295 northbound.
- Traffic will also be diverted from I-295 North at the NJ Turnpike Interchange 1 to NJ Turnpike Interchange 4 to Route 73 North to I-295 North. Traffic diverted to the NJ Turnpike can also use Interchange 3 to Route 168 West and back to I-295 North.
I-295 northbound will be reopened on Saturday, April 9 at 10 a.m.
On Friday, April 15 at 10 p.m., NJDOT will detour I-295 southbound and Route 42 southbound motorists to I-295 southbound Exit 26 to I-76 northbound to Market Street to I-76 southbound back to I-295 southbound and Route 42 southbound.
I-295 southbound and Route 42 southbound will be reopened on Saturday at 10 a.m.
The rain dates forI-295 northbound and southbound closures will be the following day, Saturday 10p.m. to Sunday 10 a.m.
Real time travel and construction information is available online at www.511nj.org
# # #