Public meetings scheduled to discuss plan to ease
Route 1 congestion in West Windsor
Left and U-turn restrictions planned for Washington Road
and Harrison Street
(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation today announced a pair of public meetings to discuss a pilot project to restrict left turns and U-turns on Route 1 at Washington Road and Harrison Street in West Windsor.
NJDOT is seeking to reduce congestion along the Route 1 northbound corridor in the vicinity of Washington Road and Harrison Street where the rightmost of three lanes becomes crowded with motorists queueing to make left turns, particularly during peak travel periods.
The importance of improved traffic flow is heightened by the scheduled spring opening of the new University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro on Route 1 just north of Harrison Street.
Meetings to discuss an eight-week pilot program are scheduled for:
• 5-8 p.m. Tuesday, January 24 at the West Windsor municipal building
• 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, January 25 at the Princeton Borough municipal building
As the trial period progresses, NJDOT will arrange to meet with stakeholders to evaluate whether the restrictions have proven to be effective in reducing Route 1 congestion and to evaluate the extent of any secondary impacts on local streets and roads. Those discussions will help determine whether the restrictions are made permanent, are modified or if the current turn options are restored.
NJDOT will collect traffic volume and trip-time data at numerous locations in Princeton Township, Princeton Borough, West Windsor and Plainsboro prior to and during the trial period to evaluate the impacts of the restrictions.
Temporary construction barrels and other measures will be used to implement the restrictions in an inexpensive manner. Should the trial prove successful, appropriate permanent changes will be designed and installed at the intersections. If the trial is unsuccessful, the temporary restrictions will be removed to restore all existing traffic movements.
Route 1 northbound and southbound motorists will be prevented from making left turns and U-turns at the Washington Road signalized intersection.
• Route 1 northbound motorists seeking to make a left onto Washington Road heading into Princeton can use the ramp to Alexander Road westbound.
• Route 1 northbound motorists seeking to make a U-turn can use the ramp to Alexander westbound and then take the ramp to Route 1 southbound.
• Route 1 southbound motorists seeking to turn left onto Washington Road or seeking to make a U-turn can use the ramp to Alexander Road eastbound and then proceed to Route 1 northbound.
Route 1 northbound motorists will be prevented from making left or U-turns at the Harrison Street signalized intersection.
• Motorists can proceed north along Route 1 to the Scudders Mill road interchange and take the U-turn ramp to Route 1 southbound and make a right turn at Harrison Street or continue south on Route 1.
NJDOT will deploy Dynamic Message Signs and static signage notifying motorists of the restrictions and alternate routes well in advance of the start of the pilot project.