Route 18 overnight ramp closures necessary
for bridge painting in New Brunswick
Alternating overnight detours necessary during ramp closures
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced overnight closures of the Route 18 ramps to and from George Street for a bridge painting maintenance project in New Brunswick.
Beginning at 10 p.m. tomorrow, Wednesday, November 29 until 5 a.m. the next day, and continuing weeknights for several nights until project completion, NJDOT’s contractor Allied Painting is scheduled to close the Route 18 ramps to and from George Street for bridge painting. The ramp closures will begin with Route 18 southbound and alternate nightly with Route 18 northbound.
- The Route 18 southbound ramp to George Street, and the George Street ramp to Route 18 southbound will be closed and detoured.
Alternating consecutive nights until project completion:
- The Route 18 northbound ramp to George Street, and the George Street ramp to Route 18 northbound will be closed and detoured.
The following overnight southbound detours is scheduled to be in place Wednesday night:
ROUTE 18 SOUTHBOUND
Route 18 southbound ramp to George Street detour:
- Motorists on Route 18 southbound will be directed to continue on Route 18 southbound and take exit on right for New Street/Commercial Avenue
- Take New Street to George Street
George Street to Route 18 southbound detour:
- Motorists on George Street southbound will be directed to bear right at the fork onto College Avenue
- Make a left onto Bishop Place
- Continue straight onto the ramp to Route 18 southbound
The following Route 18 northbound detours is scheduled to be in place for the second night of work on Thursday, and will alternate nightly until project completion with the Route 18 southbound detours:
ROUTE 18 NORTHBOUND
Route 18 northbound ramp to George Street detour:
- Motorists on Route 18 northbound will be directed to continue over the Raritan River and take the first exit for River Road/Piscataway/Highland Park
- Stay right on to River Road/CR 622
- Make a left at the light onto Landing Lane
- Continue over the Raritan River
- Make a left onto George Street/CR 672
George Street to Route 18 northbound detour:
- Motorists on George Street will be directed to Huntington Street
- Make a right onto College Avenue, which becomes George Street
- Make a right onto Landing Lane
- Continue over the Raritan River and make a right at the light onto River Road/CR 622
- Continue on River Road and make a left onto Route 18 northbound/Piscataway
Variable message signs and ramp closure signs will be utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the bridge painting maintenance project. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information before upcoming road closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weatheror other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.