2001 Sample Plans
May 4, 2001
Subject: Release of 2001 Sample Plans in U.S. Customary English units
To progress with the development of Design projects with English units, the Department has converted the Sample Plans, issued as Baseline Document Change (BDC) Announcement, dated October 31, 1996, from metric units to U.S. Customary English units. The focus of the conversion has been to generate English unit plans from the metric 1996 Sample Plans. This has been accomplished with the exception of the construction plan sheets, which are not identical to the metric sheets, though are similar in presentation and depict the intent of the original sheet.
The overall appearance of the 2001 Sample Plans remains the same, with the exception of the conversion of metric units to English units and the following additions:
- introduction to the Sample Plans describing the intent
- incorporation of All Design Units Memoranda (ADU) and BDC Announcements related to plan preparation and/or presentation not previously included in the metric 1996 Sample Plans
- the metric Electrical Plan sheets are replaced with the following:
- three new Electrical Plan sheets
- two new Highway Lighting Plan sheets,
- one new Traffic Signal Plan sheet,
- guidelines for preparation of the above new Electrical Plan sheets
- revised earthwork summaries with entries for Borrow Topsoil
- sample Title Blocks
- guidelines for drainage work presentation
- guidelines for proposed "Demolition of Buildings"
- Key sheet titling
- notes pertaining to elevation datum on Tie sheets
- revised standard legend
- some additional text has been changed for clarification
The following listings of ADU Memoranda and BDC Announcements have been incorporated in the 2001 Sample Plans, and are hereby superseded:
ADU - Landscape Planting Plan Requirements
April 7, 1980
ADU - Plan Sheet Titling and Consultant’s Signature
November 22, 1989
ADU - Concrete Surface Course Joint Layout & Slab Dimensioning
March 8, 1993
BDC96PL-002 - Policy Change – Project Identification
February 4, 1997
Instructions to Designers
The 2001 Sample Plans shall be used as reference only by Designers for developing "new start" projects in English units, as directed in Corrective Action Notice, CAN041, dated March 30, 2001, with the following guidelines:
- All "new starts" for consultant design projects where survey base maps have not been completed shall be developed with English units.
- All "new starts" for in-house design projects shall be designed in metric units until the Department CADD system is converted to the English system. At that time, all in-house "new starts" shall be designed in English units.
- All Developer and Local Aid projects shall be designed in English units.
Current projects that have been developed with metric units are to remain in metric.
Distribution and Announcement Access Information
This announcement is being distributed electronically to our in-house staff and various public agencies by the Engineering Documents Unit. The Engineering Documents Unit will not distribute a hard copy of the 2001 Sample Plans; therefore, interested users are requested to contact the Engineering Documents Unit as shown below to obtain a copy.
Internet access to this BDC Announcement along with all necessary files and web links can be downloaded and viewed from the following New Jersey Department of Transportation Web Page:
In-house staff may copy or view the above-mentioned files in the QM shared area on the NJDOT-FA-NTS7 server. To access this area, open Windows Explorer on an NJDOT Network Computer. Go to the drop down menu labeled Tools, and then select Map Network Drive. In the path box type in \\NJDOT-FA-NTS7\QM, then click on the OK button. All files are located in the QM\BDC Announcements\BDC 00 Folder.
Half-scale sets of the 2001 Sample Plans may be purchased by contacting the following:
Engineering Documents Unit
E & O Bldg., 1st Floor
1035 Parkway Avenue, P.O. Box 600
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0600
Phone: (609) 530-5587
Fax: (609) 530-6626
Brian Strizki W. Dennis Keck Manager, Assistant Commissioner, Quality Management Services Capital Program Management
Attachment: 2001 Sample Plans available upon request.