"To provide strategic direction and financing alternatives
to guide the prudent allocation of limited resources within
the policy framework set by the Governor and to accurately
implement and reflect the results of those decisions and subsequent
financial transactions in the State Budget, in the State Accounting
System, and in the State's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report."
Specifically, The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) performs
the following functions:
- Coordinates the annual agency-based planning process,
identifies and projects trends affecting the demand for
services, provides information and planning support for
the process of allocating available financial and human
resources, and evaluates strategic and long-term issues.
- Assesses budget needs, based on studies of State fiscal requirements,
ongoing monitoring of agency spending patterns, and on official
requests for appropriations by State departments, and
formulates the annual budget submitted by the Governor
to the Legislature.
- Develops and reviews State agency responses on proposed State and
federal legislation and regulations to ensure that the
broad State interest and fiscal policy is taken into account.
- Identifies overlap between programs in different departments that serve the same clients or provide a similar set of services, thus avoiding unnecessary duplication of effort and highlighting possible cost reduction opportunities.
- As the staff arm of the Commission on Capital Budgeting and Planning, provides analysis and planning for the State’s capital budget, including the evaluation of capital construction projects, research into financing options, and relative ranking of priority needs across departments.
- Provides for the receipt, processing, recording and
reporting of all financial data of the States various
funds, in accordance with existing statutes and generally
accepted accounting principles.
- Responsible for assuring that State employees are paid
accurately and on a timely basis.
- Develops procedures, revises accounting systems, enhances accounting controls and monitors financial
activities of various State agencies.