NJWELL Wellness Champion Volunteer Job Description
What is a Wellness Champion?
Our mission is to cultivate healthy lifestyle choices among active SHBP/SEHBP members, reduce health risk factors, improve wellbeing, and ensure that New Jersey’s public employees remain healthy, inspired, and productive in the years to come.
The Wellness Champion is the inspirational voice for his or her work location regarding employee health, well-being and work-life balance. The Wellness Champion serves as a resource to promote NJWELL.
Do YOU have what it takes?
Here are some qualities that make for a successful Wellness Champion:
- A Wellness Champion is an enthusiastic staff member who possesses a passion for health and fitness and a desire to promote Employee Wellness.
- A Wellness Champion sincerely wants to help fellow employees enhance their quality of life.
- A Wellness Champion encourages employee ownership of NJWELL to help the program succeed.
- A Wellness Champion is positive and open in support of their colleagues’ pursuit of health and well-being as well as efforts to effectively balance work-life demands
- Develop a solid understanding of NJWELL, including the program’s goals and objectives, as well as recommended health and wellness activities and services.
- Help promote NJWELL by overseeing the program for your employer.
- Represent coworkers by collecting ideas and feedback about the program.
- Volunteer to assist in the implementation and coordination of wellness initiatives for your employer.
- Share information, engage colleagues to participate in NJWELL and create excitement around leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Actively support the NJWELL’s effort to cultivate a healthy work environment, health work practices and healthy workforce.
- Encourage completion of annual Health Risk Assessment and Biometric Screenings.
- Communicate with the SHBP/SEHBP’s NJWELL Coordinator for assistance in implementing wellness initiatives for your employer, share feedback, and relay information on your efforts to promote NJWELL.
Form A Wellness Committee
Wellness Champions at employers with multiple worksites are encouraged to form a “Wellness Committee” to ensure that NJWELL’s message of Employee Wellness is communicated to all of your employers SHBP/SEHBP members.
What is the Time Commitment?
The time commitment depends on the size of the employer and the Wellness Champion’s enthusiasm for promoting wellness.
Wellness Champions will receive training on a periodic basis via webinars delivered by the Division of Pensions and Benefits, Aetna, and Horizon, and will receive monthly communications that include suggestions for possible health and wellness initiatives to implement at their worksite.
Wellness Champions will have the opportunity to offer feedback on the program to the Division of Pensions and Benefits’ NJWELL Coordinator. In addition, Wellness Champions will be encouraged to share information on successful health and wellness initiatives implemented at their locations, and have the opportunity to earn recognition on the NJWELL website for obtaining high participation rates among co-workers.
An email was sent in late September to each SHBP/SEHBP employer, asking for a designated Wellness Champion at each participating location.
A follow-up program announcement will be mailed directly to SHBP/SEHBP members in the coming weeks.
The plan is to have each SHBP/SEHBP employer have a Wellness Champion assigned to help increase member engagement in NJWELL.
If you are interested, contact your Human Resources office and ask if your employer has designated a Wellness Champion for NJWELL. If they have not designated a Wellness Champion, volunteer!
If your employer has already designated a Wellness Champion, don’t be discouraged. Contact your Wellness Champion and ask how you can help. If your employer has multiple worksites, you may be able to help coordinate the implementation of health and wellness initiatives in your building. Your Wellness Champion may wish to form a Wellness Committee and ask you to join.
Volunteer! Become a Wellness Champion, or offer assistance as a member of the Wellness Committee at your participating SHBP/SEHBP location. For just a few hours per month, you can help promote healthy lifestyle choices among your coworkers, and increase wellbeing and productivity among New Jersey’s public employees.
Help Keep NJ WELL!