PFRS BOARD ELECTION UPDATE
The following election notice is being distributed at this time for the position of one elected police officer to the PFRS Board of Trustees, to fill a vacancy* on the Board.
DIVISION OF PENSIONS AND BENEFITS - NOTICE OF PFRS ELECTIONS
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE POLICE AND FIREMEN’S RETIREMENT SYSTEM (PFRS)
One State Street Square - 50 West State Street - P.O. BOX 295 - Trenton, NJ 08625-0295 or Pensions.NJ@treas.state.nj.us
Nominations are being accepted to fill the position of one elected police officer to the PFRS Board of Trustees to fill a vacancy* on the Board. The term will begin on September 1, 2015 and will expire on August 31, 2019. If you wish to declare your interest in running for the position, please send a written request to the PFRS Board Secretary at NJBOT.Nomination@treas.nj.gov or PO Box 295, Trenton, NJ 08625-0295.
The general responsibility for the operation of the PFRS is vested in the Board of Trustees under the provisions of N.J.S.A. 43:16A-13. The Board meets monthly at the Division of Pensions and Benefits in Trenton. The statute provides that no employee shall suffer loss of
salary or wages because of serving on the Board. A member who wishes to be a candidate for the police position must be an active PFRS law enforcement officer and must be nominated by at least 500 active PFRS police members. Only active PFRS police members may nominate a candidate for the PFRS police position.
After the candidates have declared their interest in becoming a PFRS representative, nominations to support your choice for a candidate are now made electronically through a secure website. Please be sure to allow sufficient time after this notification for active police
members to request candidacy and to have ample time for the vendor to enter the member’s name to the online system. Afterwards, the process is very easy and it only takes a few minutes to support the candidate of your choice. You just need to have access to a
computer and log on to https://vote.election-america.com/NJPFRS and follow the simple directions. You will need to provide is the last 4 digits of your social security number, the first 4 letters of your last name, and your year/month of birth. The list of those declaring their interest in being a candidate will then be available for your selection.
Nominations must be registered on-line on or before 4:00 p.m. Friday, April 24, 2015. If an election is needed, the ballots will be mailed to the PFRS employers on or about May 26, 2015. All qualified candidates will be invited to attend the drawing by lot for position on the
ballot, if necessary, on May 4, 2015.
We appreciate your assistance in supporting the electronic nominating process. By doing so you are helping to decrease administrative costs and preserve resources!
PRESENT MEMBERS - TERM
Police Officers: Keith Bennett-6/30/18; *Vacancy-8/31/19
Firefighters: Timothy Colacci-6/30/16; Brady Middlesworth-6/30/18;
Retired member: Marty Barrett-12/31/16;
Gubernatorial Appointments: Laurel Brennan; Vincent Foti; Frank Leake; Richard Loccke;
State Treasurer Representative: Susanne Culliton, Ex Officio Member.
PFRS BOARD RESPONSIBILITIES
- Render determinations regarding Disability retirement cases.
- Review appeals pertaining to the disallowance of pension benefits.
- Adopt rules and regulations to provide for the payment of benefits and collection of monies as required by the statute.
- Establish rules and regulation within the limitations of statutes and opinions of the Courts and the Attorney General, designed to prevent injustices and inequities that may arise in the operation of the Retirement System.
- Resolve individual questions on the merits of each case in terms of statutes, opinions of the Attorney General, advice of the Actuary and cases cited by counsel as deliberated by the Courts.
- View monthly and annual reports setting forth data such as assets and liabilities, income and disbursements and statistical summarization of membership as documented by the Actuary.
Letter in Printable Format Adobe