2012 Homestead Benefit Information
Filing deadline for 2012 Homestead Benefit Applications extended to December 31, 2013.
(View Treasurer’s Press Release) (131 kb)
You may be eligible for a 2012 New Jersey homestead benefit if:
- You were a New Jersey resident; and
- You owned and occupied a home in New Jersey that was your principal residence on October 1, 2012 (If you were not a homeowner on October 1, 2012, you are not eligible for a homestead benefit, even if you owned a home for part of the year.); and
- Property taxes for 2012 were paid on that home; and
- You meet certain income limits.
You are not eligible for a homestead benefit if you are not required to pay property taxes on your home. This includes:
- Homeowners who are completely exempt from paying property taxes on their principal residence.
- Homeowners who made P.I.L.O.T. (Payments-in-Lieu-of-Tax) payments to their municipality. These payments are not considered property taxes for purposes of the homestead benefit.
Note: Eligibility requirements and benefit amounts will not be finalized until the completion of the State Budget, which must be adopted by July 1, 2014. Additional information on the 2012 homestead benefit will be posted when it becomes available.
Send an e-mail about your Homestead Benefit