Travel Resources: Save with E-ZPass
Signing Up for E-ZPass
- What is E-ZPass?
- E-ZPass is an electronic toll collection system. Instead of using cash, coins and toll tickets, you prepay your tolls and attach a small electronic device to your vehicle. Tolls are automatically calculated and deducted from your account as you pass through the toll lanes.
- How does E-ZPass work?
- Your vehicle is equipped with a small electronic device, called a tag or a transponder, which transmits information. The transaction data is processed and a toll is automatically deducted from your account as you pass through the lane.
- Where can I use E-ZPass?
- Wherever the E-ZPass logo is displayed. In New Jersey, that includes the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway, the Atlantic City Expressway, all Port Authority of New York and New Jersey bridges and tunnels, and the Delaware River bridges operated by the Delaware River Port Authority, the Delaware River and Bay Authority, and the Burlington County Bridge Commission. E-ZPass is also accepted at tolled facilities in more than a dozen other states, including New York, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Click here for a complete list of participating toll facilities.
- How do I sign up?
- It's simple. You can complete an application online. Or you can enroll over the phone by calling 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (888 288-6865). Also, you can come into either one of the following the service centers: 375 McCarter Highway (Route 21) or John Fenwick Plaza , and fill out an application there.
- Are motorcycles eligible?
- Yes. Motorcyclists are eligible to participate in the E-ZPass program.
- I don't own a vehicle. Can I still get E-ZPass?
- Yes. If you do not own a vehicle, you can still enroll in E-ZPass. Your tag can be used in any vehicle with two axles, a maximum gross weight of 7,000 pounds, and single rear tires (includes RV’s with dual rear tires). Please ensure that the E-ZPass tag is mounted as per the tag installation instructions in all vehicles in which the tag will be used.
- What if I'm already enrolled in E-ZPass through another state?
- As long as your account is in good status, your tag will be valid in all E-ZPass marked lanes.
- Do I have to open more then one account to use E-ZPass at other facilities?
- No. Only one account is necessary.
- Are there any other fees associated with this service?
- There is a $1.00 monthly membership fee in New Jersey.
- Do I need to register all my vehicles?
- Yes. You should provide the Customer Service Center with details of all vehicles which will use your E-ZPass account.
Using Your New E-ZPass Privileges
- How can I identify an E-ZPass lane?
- E-ZPass lanes are marked with canopy signs.
- How will I know I’ve successfully paid my toll?
When you go through toll lanes equipped to handle E-ZPass transactions, the patron display message board just beyond the tollbooth will prompt you to go with a green lighted “go” or “paid” message.
If you have a low balance, and the toll has been deducted from your account, it will prompt you to go with a “low balance” message. If you are a cash or check customer, you must replenish your account as soon as possible after seeing that message.
If your tag is improperly installed, or if you have an insufficient balance in your account, the toll cannot be deducted. In those cases, the driver feedback message will read, “Go... no tag read” or “Call customer service center”. If you receive this message in an E-ZPass lane with a toll attendant, you will be required to pay the full cash toll to the attendant at that time. Ask the toll attendant for a receipt. If you receive this message in an E-ZPass only lane, DO NOT STOP. Proceed through the toll plaza and call the Customer Service Center as soon as possible.
- What should I do if I go through an E-ZPass lane and I don't have E-ZPass in my vehicle?
- An Advisory and payment request violation will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle in 14 to 21 business days. Follow the directions on the back of the form. A determination letter will be sent to you to advise you of the disposition. (Should you have any further questions, please contact the Customer Relations Group at 732-442-8600, ext. 2100)
- What if I get into a non-E-ZPass lane by mistake?
- In the event you enter a toll lane that is not equipped with E-ZPass, you will be required to pay the full cash toll. Never back up in a toll lane unless instructed to do so by toll plaza personnel.
- Can I use my tag in other vehicles?
- Yes. You may transfer a tag between vehicles as long as they are of the same vehicle class. There are penalties for using a tag in a different vehicle class (for example, using a car tag in a tractor-trailer).
- I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?
- Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested.
- Will I receive a receipt for E-ZPass in the toll lane?
- No. Your statement serves as your receipt for all E-ZPass trips.
- But what if I need receipts for business and can’t wait until my next statement arrives?
- Your account information is available to you on the website. You can refer to that information for the amount, date, time, and location of each toll transaction. Although a separate receipt is not available for E-ZPass transactions, you may print the transaction detail.
Caring for Your E-ZPass Tag
- How do I install my tag?
- Properly installing the interior E-ZPass tag is easy and essential. First, clean and dry the inside of your windshield around the rear view mirror. Second, remove the tape back from the mounting strips, being careful not to pull the mounting strips off the tag. And third, hold the tag so that the label is right side up and facing you and press it against your windshield behind your rear-view mirror. Make sure the tag is at least an inch below the top edge of the windshield, or below the tinted section of the glass.
- How do I know my tag is working when I receive it?
- All tags are pre-tested before distribution. Some vehicles with metal-oxide embedded into the windshield require exterior-mounted tags. Please review the list of Vehicles Requiring Exterior Tags for more information. If you suspect your tag is not functioning properly, please call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865).
- Can I have more then one tag? Does it cost me more?
- You’re allowed to have up to four tags per account. Extra tags won’t cost you any more if you pay by credit card. A refundable $10 per tag deposit is required for check and cash customers.
- What if my tag is lost or stolen?
- Report it immediately by logging in to the Customer Service Center or by calling 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (888 288-6865). The tag will be deactivated. You will not be responsible for any charges incurred after you report a lost or stolen tag. You will be responsible for paying the full replacement cost of the tag ($23.00 for an interior tag, $29.40 for an exterior tag). Upon request, a new tag will be issued to you. If you’re worried that your tag might be stolen from inside your car, you might want to take it with you when your car is not in use. The self-adhesive strips allow for easy removal and installation.
- Are there any instances when I should not use my tag?
- Don’t use your tag if you reported it lost but later found it. Don’t use it if you don’t have a sufficient balance on your account. And don’t use it if the vehicle you’re operating is of a different class than the one registered to your account. In those instances, you should put your tag in the silver “read prevention” bag it came with to prevent possible violations.
- What if my E-ZPass fails to work?
- Call the E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (888 288-6865) as soon as possible.
- Can I alter the appearance of my tag?
- No. Don’t affix stickers to it or write or draw on it in any way whatsoever. If your tag is damaged or defaced through misuse or abuse, you’ll be required to pay for it.
Managing Your E-ZPass Account
- What if my account balance reaches zero?
If you pay by credit card or by direct debit of your bank account, you should never experience this problem. Your account will be automatically replenished when your balance reaches your replenishment threshold.
If you’re a check or cash customer and your account balance reaches zero, you’ll have to stop using E-ZPass until you’ve made a payment to your account. You’ll have to pay the full cash toll at the tollbooth, and you won’t be able to use the E-ZPass only lanes. You should remove the E-ZPass tag from your vehicle or place it in the silver “read prevention” bag you received with your E-ZPass Customer Guide. If you attempt to use your tag when there is an insufficient toll balance in your account, you may be considered a violator.
- How do I replenish my account?
If you pay by check, you can mail your payment to the E-ZPass Customer Service Center, PO Box 52002 Newark, NJ 07101-8201.
If you pay by cash, you’ll have to visit the E-ZPass Customer Service Center to make a payment in person.
Again, if you pay by credit card or by direct debit of your bank account, your account will be automatically replenished.
- What if my monthly toll usage becomes different than my usual monthly payment?
- Your toll usage will be reviewed periodically. If your monthly activity becomes different than your current monthly payment, we will change your replenishment threshold amount to a more appropriate level. You will be notified in writing about the change.
- What do I have to do if I buy a new car or get new plates?
- Log in to this Web site or contact the Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865) to provide new license plate and vehicle information as soon as possible. By keeping this information current, you can help ensure that you will not receive a false violation notice.
- What if I move?
- You can log in to this Web site or call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865) to change your address or to close your account.
- What if I want to change my payment method or the number of vehicles on my plan?
- You can log in to this Web site and make the change or call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865) to change your account plan, payment method, or the vehicles assigned to your account.
- What if I lose the credit card that funds my E-ZPass account?
- First, call your credit card company to report the loss or theft. Then call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865) and report the loss. Another method of payment will be required until your new card is issued.
- What if I am issued a new credit card?
- Log in to this Web site or call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865) to update your credit card information.
- The Web site is a valuable tool for managing my account. What happens if I forget my PIN?
- Call 1-888-AUTO-TOLL (1-888-288-6865) and have your personal information ready to give to a Customer Service Representative.
- Do I have to set up a separate account for every car I own?
- No. You should list each vehicle on your application. You’re allowed to move your tag among your vehicles, provided they are the same class, or you may obtain a tag for each vehicle. You may have up to four tags for each account.
- Do I have to fund the account with $25 per car?
- No. The initial prepaid toll amount of $25 applies to an entire account, which can include up to four vehicles.
- Will I get a statement?
- Yes. You will receive an itemized statement every month for the first six months and every other month thereafter. You have the option to continue receiving monthly statements for a fee of $1.00 every other month ($6.00 per year).
- What do I need to do to continue receiving a monthly statement after the first six months?
- All you have to do is click the “account info” link. There, under “primary information,” you can change the statement frequency to “monthly” to continue receiving monthly statements.
- Do I have to receive an E-ZPass paper statement?
No. You have the option of suppressing the printing of all E-ZPass statements.
If you prefer to suppress your E-ZPass statements, all you have to do is click the “account info” link. There, under “primary information,” you can change your statement delivery method to “none.” This option can be changed at anytime. You can view and print your transaction history via the web at any time and as often as you need. There are currently no fees for this service. Your E-ZPass account number and PIN are required.
- Where can I find out what the toll plaza abbreviations mean?
The toll plaza abbreviations are used on E-ZPass statements and violation notices. A key explaining the abbreviation codes appears on your printed E-ZPass statement. You can also see what the abbreviations stand for by clicking here.
Following E-ZPass Rules
- Under what conditions can I get a violation?
There are four infractions that could cause you to get a violation notice in the mail:
- Toll Evasion: Driving through an E-ZPass lane without a valid E-ZPass tag properly mounted in your vehicle.
- Insufficient Funds: Driving through an E-ZPass lane when there is not enough money in your account.
- Class Mismatch: Driving through an E-ZPass lane when the vehicle class of the tag you’re using does not match the vehicle you are driving.
- What is the administrative fee for a violation?
- The administrative fee is $50. The Turnpike Authority may adjust that fee from time to time based on the actual cost of processing and collecting violations.