The Bureau of Rooming and Boarding House Standards is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the Rooming and Boarding House Act of 1979, and the inspection and licensure of emergency shelters for the homeless pursuant to Rules Governing Shelters for the Homeless, and inspection and licensure of Free-Standing Residential Health Care Facilities pursuant to the Health Care Facilities Planning Act. 

The Rooming and Boarding House Act of 1979 and the Health Care Facilities Planning Act  mandate social and safety requirements for all rooming and boarding houses and free-standing residential health care facilities respectively in the State. Upon satisfactory compliance with the Acts, the Bureau will issue a license to an owner or operator of a rooming or boarding house or free-standing residential health care facility.

All rooming and boarding homes and free-standing residential health care facilities in the State are evaluated for the physical safety and social well being of the resident population. Physical and social evaluations are conducted yearly by the bureau as a prerequisite to license renewal. Physical and social evaluations of rooming and boarding houses are conducted by municipalities upon application to, and approval by, the bureau. Municipalities wishing to conduct physical inspections of rooming and boarding houses should contact the bureau. Social evaluations may only be conducted by the bureau. Owners and operators must apply to the bureau for a license to own and/or operate a rooming or boarding house and a free-standing residential health care facility. 

The Rules Governing Emergency Shelters for the Homeless Act that mandate safety requirements for emergency shelters in New Jersey. Upon compliance with the act, licenses are issued by the bureau to owners of these shelters for the purpose of ensuring that emergency shelters in the New Jersey are constructed, maintained and operated in such a manner as to protect the health, safety and welfare of their occupants. Municipalities wishing to conduct inspections should contact the bureau. Owners must apply to the bureau for licensure.

Related Forms and Publications


License Application for Owners/Operators (fillable)




License Application for Owners/Operators
Form I (fillable)
Form II (fillable)
Licensing Fee Schedule
Notice of Authorization (fillable)


(click here)