Services A-Z Departments/Agencies FAQs NJ Home
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection  
NJDEP Homedepheader
Bureau of Ground Water, Residuals, and Permit Administration
NJDEP Division of Water Quality
bluearrow  Ground Water Permitting Program
BlueArrow Types of Individual DGW Permits
BlueArrow Regulated Facilities
BlueArrow Applying for an Individual Permit
BlueArrow DGW Individual Permits
BlueArrow DGW General Permits
BlueArrow Frequently Asked Questions
bluearrow  Onsite WW Management Program
BlueArrow Homeowner Guidance
BlueArrow Permitting Information
BlueArrow Alternative Technology
BlueArrow Inspection Guidance
BlueArrow Professional Information
bluearrow  Residuals Management Program
BlueArrow Residuals, Biosolids, Sewage Sludge
BlueArrow Interactive Sewage Sludge Mapping Tool
BlueArrow Residuals General Permits
BlueArrow Residuals Application Forms and Checklists
bluearrow  Permit Administration Section
BlueArrow Permit Application Forms and Checklists
BlueArrow NJPDES Surface Water Discharge
BlueArrow NJPDES Stormwater Discharge
BlueArrow NJPDES Ground Water Discharge
BlueArrow NJPDES Significant Indirect User
BlueArrow NJPDES Residual Management
BlueArrow NJPDES Adjudicatory Hearing Requests and Stay Request Forms
BlueArrow N.J.A.C. 7:9A Alternate Design Treatment Works Approval
BlueArrow NJPDES Treatment Works
BlueArrow Municipal Finance Loan Applications
BlueArrow Additional Administrative Forms for NJPDES Program
BlueArrow NJPDES Monitoring Report Forms
BlueArrow NJPDES Permit Fees
BlueArrow Online NJPDES Permit Records Information
left bar Find Forms | Contact Us rightbar

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my facility need an Individual Permit?
Permit Eligibility for Discharge to Ground Water permits is based on the type of discharge unit type.  If your facility incorporates any one of these discharge units it may be required to apply for a NJPDES-DGW permit.  In order to determine the applicability, the facility should contact the BNPC for further information.

How much does an Individual Permit cost?
Permit fee questions should be addressed to the Permit Administration Section for further information.

What monitoring is usually associated with an Individual Permit?
Monitoring requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis for each facility that applies for an Individual Discharge to Ground Water permit.  Most facilities are required to have a combination of discharge monitoring of the effluent entering the discharge unit as well as a ground water monitoring well network in both the upgradient and downgradient direction of the discharge unit to determine compliance with the New Jersey Ground Water Quality Standards.

What if my facility discharges above a permit limit for a particular parameter?
Permit compliance and penalty assessment is determined, in part, by the applicable regional Water Compliance and Enforcement Element.

Does the Department maintain a list of recommended consultants for NJPDES permits?
The Department does not maintain a list of recommended consultants, nor can the department endorse, promote any such consulting firm.

What is a Mounding Analysis?
As part of some permit applications, a mounding analysis is required to determine if the capacity of soils beneath a discharge unit is capable of distributing the wastewater without causing hydraulic failure of that discharge unit.  In addition, some facilities must maintain a certain distance between the ground water mound established from the wastewater discharge and the bottom of the discharge unit.  Further information on the Mounding Analysis may be found in the Department’s “Technical Manual for NJPDES Discharge to Ground Water Permits (pdf) .”

What is a Nitrate Dilution Model?
As part of some permit applications, a nitrate dilution model is required to determine if nitrate concentrations within ground water due to a wastewater discharge can dilute to meet the New Jersey Ground Water Quality Standard within a certain area (Usually by the time the nitrate plume reaches near the downgradient property line). Further information on the Nitrate Dilution Model may be found in the Department’s “Technical Manual for NJPDES Discharge to Ground Water Permits (pdf) .”

Can a facility with an Individual Permit switch to a General Permit?
General permits typically have more stringent eligibility criteria to meet the concerns of the particular industry or discharge type covered by that permit.  Facilties always retain the ability to apply for a general permit if they meet the minimum eligibility requirements for that particular general permit.  For more information, please visit the information page on General Permits.

What treatment systems does the Department require facilities to use at the site?
The Department does not recommend a particular manufacturer or treatment technology as part of the wastewater treatment systems under NJPDES permits.  However, all treatment systems must achieve compliance with the New Jersey Ground Water Compliance Standards.



NJ Home

Department:  NJDEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2023

Last Updated: June 1, 2023