Services A-Z Departments/Agencies FAQs NJ Home
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection  
NJDEP HomeNJDEP Home - Division of Water Quality
Bureau of Environmental, Engineering and Permitting (BEEP)
Environmental Protection Water Quality Municipal Finance
Municipal Finance and
Construction Element
Bureau of Environmental,
Engineering & Permitting (BEEP)
bluearrow Environmental Review Section

Engineering Review Section


Treatment Works Approvals (TWA) Permit Review/Approval Section

bluearrow Capacity Assurance Program (CAP)
bluearrow Sewer Bans and Sewer Ban Exemptions
bluearrow TWA Application Forms
bluearrow Municipal Finance Regulations (N.J.A.C. 7:22)
bluearrow Clean Water SRF Green Project Reserve (GPR) Business Cases
 Find Forms | Contact Us

Treatment Works Approvals

sewer_trenchThe Treatment Works Approval (TWA) program regulates the construction and operation of industrial and domestic wastewater collection, conveyance and treatment facilities, including treatment plants, pumping stations, interceptors, sewer mains and other collection, holding and conveyance systems. TWA permits are issued after a facility has obtained a NJPDES permit and ensures that that the construction and operation of the treatment works complies with the effluent standards specified in the NJPDES permit. The Treatment Works Approval process also involves assessing the design of new sewer lines and other wastewater conveyance facilities (force mains, pumping stations, etc.) as well as evaluating downstream conveyance and treatment capacity.

The administrative and technical requirements of the TWA program are stipulated in N.J.A.C. 7:14A-22 and 23, respectively.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Expedited TWA program is no longer offered.

The submission of an administratively complete application is essential for the timely processing of all TWA applications. Links to the application forms and checklists, as well as common TWA application deficiencies, are provided below. Complete applications, with original signatures and P.E. seals (raised), must be mailed to:

    Mail Code: 401-02B
    NJDEP - Division of Water Quality
    Bureau of Ground Water, Residuals and Permit Administration (BGRPA)
    Permit Administration Section (PAS)
    PO Box 420
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

TWA Permitting Information

blue arrow TWA Application Fees
blue arrow TWA Application Forms and Checklists
blue arrow Common TWA Application Deficiencies

If you have technical questions regarding Treatment Works Approval permits, please contact the Bureau of Environmental, Engineering and Permitting (BEEP).

If you have questions regarding the administrative status of a TWA permit application, please contact the Permit Administration Section (PAS) of the Bureau of Ground Water, Residuals, and Permit Administration.


NJ Home

Department:  NJDEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2023

Last Updated: October 26, 2023