Bureau of Release Prevention
The Bureau of Release Prevention works to protect public health and the environment by preventing incidents before they occur. Three units areas carry out the Bureau's work: Toxic Catastrophe Prevention Act (TCPA) Program, Discharge Prevention Program, and Homeland Security.
What We Do
To ensure compliance with the Toxic Catastrophe Prevention Regulations (N.J.A.C. 7:31) and the New Jersey Spill Compensation Control Regulations (N.J.A.C. 7:1E), the Bureau of Release Prevention performs the following functions:
- Provides compliance assistance
- Conducts onsite inspections
- Reviews Risk Management Plans
- Implements Security Best Practices
- Administers enforcement actions
- Reviews Discharge Prevention, Containment and Countermeasures and Discharge Cleanup Removal plans
- Audits Risk Management Programs
Three unit areas carry out the Bureau's work:
Toxic Catastrophe Prevention Act (TCPA) Program
Discharge Prevention Program
To Report an Environmental Incident
Call 1-877-927-6337 (1-877-WARN DEP). This is a toll-free number available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If this number is not working, call the New Jersey State Police at 1-609-882-2000.