This product contains a Geographic Information System (GIS) ESRI polygon shapefile of the canals and raceways, with selected attributes. It also comes with an associated database file, projection file and metadata. The shapefile and metadata are compressed as a .zip file for download.
This data shows locations of current and historic canals and raceways. Where possible, these have been mapped based on site visits or current aerial photographs. The location of some abandoned and filled canals and raceways are approximated from historic maps and photographs and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Some of the mapped canals and raceways are located on private property with no public access. Other canals and raceways allow public access on the canal itself or neighboring pathways, for recreational purposes. The user of this product is responsible for determining if a canal or raceway is open to the public before visiting.
This data does not include dewatering canals and ditches with two exceptions, the Berry's Creek Canal and the Old Canal. They were included in this data because they are navigable. Channelized streams and underground aqueducts are not included in this shapefile.
The New Jersey Geological Survey is interested in updating this product. Please send information on canals and raceways not shown here to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include specific site locations and, if possible, an aerial photo or map.
Raceways of less than 100 feet were not included in this shapefile.
I. Description of Data to be Provided.
The data provided herein are distributed subject to the following conditions and restrictions:
SUBJECT DATA LAYERS
For all data contained herein, NJDEP makes no representations of any kind, including, but not limited to, the warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular use, nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the digital data layers furnished hereunder. NJDEP assumes no responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form.
II. Terms of Agreement
1. Digital data received from the NJDEP are to be used solely for internal purposes in the conduct of daily affairs.
2. The data are provided, as is, without warranty of any kind and the user is responsible for understanding the accuracy limitations of all digital data layers provided herein, as documented in the accompanying cross-reference files (see Section 1.14 CROSS-REFERENCE). Any reproduction or manipulation of the above data must ensure that the coordinate reference system remains intact.
3. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be reproduced or redistributed for use by anyone without first obtaining written permission from the NJDEP. This clause is not intended to restrict distribution of printed mapped information produced from the digital data.
4. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents produced as a result of this project that utilize NJDEP digital data will credit the NJDEP's Geographic Information System (GIS) as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer:
"This (map/publication/report) was developed using New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic Information System digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized."
5. Users shall require any independent contractor, hired to undertake work that will utilize digital data obtained from the NJDEP, to agree not to use, reproduce, or redistribute NJDEP GIS data for any purpose other than the specified contractual work.
All copies of NJDEP GIS data utilized by an independent contractor will be required to be returned to the original user at the close of such contractual work. Users hereby agree to abide by the use and reproduction conditions specified above and agree to hold any independent contractor to the same terms. By using data provided herein, the user acknowledges that terms and conditions have been read and that the user is bound by these criteria.
The two towpath canals, the Morris Canal and the Delaware and Raritan Canal contain the locations of many but not all locks, boat basins, inclined planes and aqueducts associated with these two canals.
The spillways and wasteways associated with the inclined planes of the Morris Canal were not mapped.
The two towpath canals, the Morris Canal and the Delaware and Raritan Canal contain the locations of many locks, boat basins, inclined planes and aqueducts. Most of the lock and plane data for the Morris Canal was obtained from a shapefile created by the NJ Historic Preservation Office and merged into this shapefile. Parts of the Morris Canal and Delaware and Raritan Canal and some raceways have been redeveloped since the canals and raceways were abandoned and reused for other purposes. These portions of the canals and raceways do not exist today but are represented here for historical reference and planning purposes. An example is the Delaware and Raritan Canal in parts of Trenton. Some portions of the Delaware & Raritan Canal in Trenton are covered or pass through underground conveyance systems.
Many mill raceway locations were obtained from Sanborn fire maps and other online historic maps.
Asbury plaster mill raceway Asbury raceway Brockoven saw mill raceway Col. John C. Taylor grist mill raceway Drake saw mill raceway Parvin mill raceway Ralston cotton and woolen mill raceway Rowlands mill raceway Whippany raceway Worsted yarns raceway