GENERAL PERMIT 1 - Amusement Pier Expansion
General Permit 1 authorizes the expansion of an existing, functional amusement pier as defined at N.J.A.C. 7:7-1.5, provided:
- The amusement pier was existing and functional as of July 19, 1993;
- The expansion does not exceed by more than 25% the footprint of the pier as it existed on July 19, 1993;
- The expansion is located more than 150’ landward of the mean high water line;
- The expansion does not adversely affect or eliminate existing direct public access unless replacement access points are provided immediately adjacent to the expanded amusement pier;
- Public viewing and seating is provided at the terminal end of the expansion;
- The expansion does not result in excavation or grading of a dune;
- The pier will continue to be used only for amusements;
- The pier is consistent with the adopted Water Quality Management Plan; and
- Public access is provided in accordance with the lands and waters subject to Public trust rights rule, N.J.A.C. 7:7-9.48, and the Public access rule, N.J.A.C. 7:7-16.9.
Please be advised:
- The expansion may consist of either structures or beach grading which does not result in change in existing beach elevations of more than 1’.
Full details are provided at N.J.A.C.7:7-6.1.
If your project does not meet the requirements of the General Permit 1, it may qualify for another General Permit, Permit-by-rule, or an Individual Permit. Additional information on these permit types can be found on the Coastal Permitting page.