Permit-by-rule (PBR) 19 - construction and/or installation
of a pumpout facility and/or pumpout support facilities
The PBR 19 authorizes construction and/or installation of a pumpout facility and/or pumpout support facility provided the project does not adversely impact any special areas described at N.J.A.C. 7:7-9 and provided:
- The pumpout discharges to:
- A municipal or regional treatment plant where practicable;
- A subsurface sewage disposal system; or
- A holding tank with waste being removed by a licensed septage hauler;
- A sewer line connecting a pumpout facility and/or pumpout support facility into an existing sewer line located on-site or located immediately adjacent to the site, provided:
- The sewer line and the area of the connection into the existing sewer are located within areas of non-porous cover;
- For a sewer line that connects from a pumpout facility and/or pumpout support facility that is located on an existing dock, the sewer line does not extend below the stringers of the dock; and
- The sewer line receives a Treatment Works Approval as required in accordance with the Department’s rules at N.J.A.C. 7:14A from the Department’s Division of Water Quality.
Full details are provided at N.J.A.C.7:7-4.19.
If your project does not meet the requirements of the PBR 1, it may qualify for a General Permit or an Individual Permit. Additional information on these permit types can be found on the Coastal Permitting page.