Governor Phil Murphy • Lt.Governor Sheila Oliver

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

Freshwater Wetlands - Application Guidance
Transition Areas Adjacent to Non-tributary wetlands (General Permit 6a)

  • Overview
  • Application Guidance
  • Rules
  • FAQ

General Permit 6A is required when a transition area next to an isolated freshwater wetland is proposed to be filled, excavated or disturbed. It is only for transition areas, and not the wetlands themselves. To conduct regulated activities in an isolated freshwater wetlands, you would need a General Permit No. 6.

This page is for informational purposes only. Please see N.J.A.C. 7:7A-5.6A for the precise rules concerning this General Permit.

Activities under general permit 6A shall not take place in a transition area adjacent to the

  1. An exceptional resource value wetland, as described at N.J.A.C. 7:7A-2.4 [Link]; or
  2. USEPA priority wetlands.

Activities under General Permit 6A shall comply with all applicable requirements at N.J.A.C.7:7A-4.3, Conditions that apply to all general permits, and N.J.A.C. 7:7A-13.1, Standard conditions that apply to all permits.

Getting a GP6a: If you believe that your project will require a GP6a, and you do not know how to apply for one, we suggest that you visit "The Permit Process" section of this website for more information. It will give you a general overview on the ins and outs of permitting, and will direct you to the forms necessary to apply. Please be advised that any application submitted must follow the procedures and information required. If you intend on applying for multiple freshwater wetland general permits, be advised that there are strict limits on what can and cannot be applied for, with a 1 acre cap on wetland disturbance for any one project site.

Note: The Department has, for your convenience, developed an Application Checklist for General Permits. Please follow carefully the requirements as outlined on this checklist to insure that you have all of the required information necessary to complete and process your application.

A direct link to the rules cited in our standard approval letter under "Permit Conditions" for this General Permit can be found below.

7:7A-5.6a General permit 6a - Transition Areas Adjacent to Non-tributary wetlands

7:7A-4.3 Conditions that apply to all general permit authorizations

7:7A-13.1 Standard conditions that apply to all permits

7:7A - Index to the entire rule.

Please Note: The Department has made every effort to ensure that the text of this regulation is identical to the official, legally effective version set forth in the New Jersey Register. However, should there be any discrepancies between the text on this web site and the official version of the rule, the official version will govern. For more information on obtaining official versions of the rules, How To Get a Paper Copy of Department Rules

Frequently Asked Questions

If you do not see an answer to your question below, please use the Land Use Contact form on this website. We will make every attempt to answer your question as promptly as possible.

Q. When do I need to obtain a Freshwater Wetland General Permit 6A?
A. When the proposed activity will disturb a transition area next to an isolated freshwater wetlands.

Q. Is mitigation required?
A. No, there is no mitigation requirement for disturbance to freshwater wetlands transition area.

Q. Do I need authorization from the Environmental Protection Agency?
A. No, there is no authorization required from the Environmental Protection Agency for disturbing freshwater wetland transition areas.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2021
Last Updated: April 12, 2022