Governor Phil Murphy • Lt.Governor Sheila Oliver

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

Freshwater Wetlands - Application Guidance
House Additions (General Permit 8)

  • Overview
  • Application Guidance
  • Rules
  • FAQ

General Permit Number 8 (GP8) permits disturbance to freshwater wetlands and/or freshwater wetland transition areas for the construction of additions or improvements to a single family home that was built prior to July 1, 1988. The total area of disturbance, including any grading, must not exceed 750 square feet.

An improvement does not necessarily need to be attached to the house, but must be within 100' of it. An example of an improvement could be a pool, grading, shed, etc.

The public can now apply on-line for a GP-8 where the addition is connected to existing structure.

Please see N.J.A.C. 7:7A-10.1 et seq. where this subchapter describes what the application contents and procedures are to be followed.

This page is for informational purposes only. Please see N.J.A.C. 7:7A-5.8 for the precise rules concerning this General Permit.

General permit 8 authorizes a disturbance in freshwater wetlands and/or transition area:

  1. If requested within five years of the destruction of a dwelling, this permit authorizes the
    replacement of a residential dwelling that was lawfully existing prior to July 1, 1988,
    within the same footprint of the previous dwelling with an increase of up to 750 square
    feet of fill and/or disturbance provided that:
    1. The applicant provides documentation that the dwelling was habitable at the time of destruction. "Habitable" means that persons could legally occupy the dwelling and that the dwelling had utilities including a functioning septic system or legal
      connection to a sewer; and
    2. There is a foundation remaining or other evidence, such as a deed or plot plan, of the
      size and location of the overall building footprint.

To be authorized under general permit 8, an addition or improvement shall be located within
100 feet of the residential dwelling.

Activities under general permit 8 shall comply with all applicable requirements at N.J.A.C.
7:7A-4.3, Conditions that apply to all general permits, and N.J.A.C. 7:7A-13.1, Establishing
permit conditions."

Getting a GP8: If you believe that your project will require a GP8, and you do not know how to apply for one, we suggest that you visit "The Permit Process" section of this website for more information. It will give you a general overview on the ins and outs of permitting, and will direct you to the forms necessary to apply. Please be advised that any application submitted must follow the procedures and information required. If you intend on applying for multiple freshwater wetland general permits, be advised that there are strict limits on what can and cannot be applied for, with a 1 acre cap on wetland disturbance for any one project site.

Note: The Department has, for your convenience, developed an Application Checklist for General Permits. Please follow carefully the requirements as outlined on this checklist to insure that you have all of the required information necessary to complete and process your application.

A direct link to the rules cited in our standard approval letter under "Permit Conditions" for this General Permit can be found below.

7:7A-5.8 General permit 8 - House Additions

7:7A - Index to the entire rule.

Please Note: The Department has made every effort to ensure that the text of this regulation is identical to the official, legally effective version set forth in the New Jersey Register. However, should there be any discrepancies between the text on this web site and the official version of the rule, the official version will govern. For more information on obtaining official versions of the rules, How To Get a Paper Copy of Department Rules

Frequently Asked Questions

If you do not see an answer to your question below, please use the Land Use Contact form on this website. We will make every attempt to answer your question as promptly as possible.

Q. When do I need to obtain a Freshwater Wetland General Permit 8?

A. When a proposed house addition or improvement (under 750sq foot total) will disturb freshwater wetlands and/or freshwater wetland transition Areas.

Q. Is mitigation required?

A. No, the disturbance is not large enough to require mitigation.

Q. When does my house have to have been built by to qualify for a GP 8?

A. Your house has to have been built by July 1, 1988.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2021
Last Updated: April 12, 2022