Department of Environmental Protection

New Jersey State Park Service

NJ State Park Service LogoNJ State Park Service Logo

Dr. James Still Office Historic Site Overview

Dr. James Still (1812-1882), a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer often called “The Black Doctor of the Pines, was born at Indian Mills and resided in Burlington County most of his life. He was one of 18 children born to former slaves Levin and Charity Still. His brothers included abolitionist William Still, one of the founders of the Underground Railroad, and Peter Still, who rescued himself from slavery.

Born into poverty and mostly self-educated, James Still became one of the wealthiest men in Burlington County and owned land along Church Road in Medford from Cross Roads, the intersection of Church and Mt. Holly Roads, to Wilkins Station. He built a fine house with a small office next door and developed a hospital in an old tavern on Route 541. He married twice and had eight children.

James Still’s story was one of hard work, thrift and saving. He prospered through his own industry and gave much of the credit to Providence. He and his family experienced poverty and prejudice, but persevered with faith, modesty and frugality. Dr. Still recorded the story of his life and philosophy in an autobiography published in 1877.

(text above authored by Janet Jackson-Gould and Janet Carlson-Giardina)

For more details and program information, visit the official Friend’s group website Dr. James Still Historic Office and Education Center

Dr. James Still was born in 1812, in Indian Mills, New Jersey to Levin and Charity Still (originally Levin and Sidney Steel), two former enslaved Africans from the state of Maryland. He received only 3 months of formal education. For most of his life, beginning at the age of 8 or 9 and into his late twenties, Still worked as a day laborer, chopping wood, making charcoal, picking berries and “grubbing” – digging up roots and trees to clear land. Born into poverty and mostly self-educated, Dr. Still became one of the wealthiest men in Burlington County of his time. He prospered through his own industry and gave much of the credit to Providence. After his marriage to his first wife, Angelina Willow and the birth of their first child, Beulah, in 1836, Still bought a small piece of brush land for $100 near the Cross-Roads, and moved a partially built house to this land. In 1843, at the age of 31 years and determined to do something better, he purchased a still and began distilling roots and herbs.

Dr. Still was so moved to purchase two books on medical botany on one of his trips to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and began practicing medicine somewhat by accident, agreeing to treat a sick man in exchange for some sassafras. Slowly, he found that he was distilling less and healing more. About 1845, Dr. Still stopped distilling and focused entirely on his medical practice.

His first wife, Angelina, would die in 1838. Dr. Still found himself alone caring for a sickly newborn child. He married a second time in 1839, to Henrietta Thomas. Unfortunately, death struck his family again with his first born passing the same year. He and his second wife, Henrietta, would later have 7 children. They experienced poverty and prejudice, but persevered with faith, modesty and frugality.

His practice began to flourish and in 1855, he built his office and his first home. Then 1869, he had a new house constructed with all the modern-day amenities of its time. It was a substantial, 3-story, mansard-roofed, Victorian style house.

He died in 1882, and was buried in Colemantown Cemetery(link is external) located behind Jacob's Chapel AME in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey.

Unfortunately, his home was torn down in 1932. His office building remained and would be used as a residence until 2006. In 2006, with encouragement from his descendants, the State of New Jersey purchased the property for the intent of restoring.

There is much more about Dr. James Still; much of it was written in his autobiography Early Recollections and Life of Dr. James Still(link is external) published in 1877. It is a must read for those who are interested in the story of such a remarkable man.

When the site is not closed due to Covid, We provide a 4th grade curriculum program. We will host scheduled class trips. The site is providing online herbal workshops, small festivals, history and community days, and nature/botanical hikes. All of our events can be seen on the Dr. James Still Historic Office and Education Center Facebook page or website.

Facilities for People with Disabilities
We encourage people with disabilities who require special considerations to contact the historic site / park at the phone number listed in the general information on the home page of the historic site / park. The staff will assist with arrangements. Text telephone (TT) users, please call the NJ Relay Services at (800) 852-7899.

For the Comfort and Enjoyment of All
This historic site / park is part of the NJ State Park system and your cooperation with the following will help ensure the survival of the museum collections, historic structures & features and surrounding property for the enjoyment and education of future generations!

  • Keep your historic site / park and surrounding property clean and green! Protect this site by taking your trash with you. Whatever you carry into the site, plan on carrying it out too. Bring a bag or two for trash, recycling and cleaning up after your pet. There are no trash receptacles at this site. Thank you!
  • No Smoking on NJ State Park Service Property. Pursuant to N.J.P.L.2005, c.383 (C.26:3D-56)
  • Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at state historic sites [ N.J.A.C. 7:2-2.6]
  • The collection or removal of any object from State Park property is prohibited without written permission from the Superintendent.
  • Use of metal detecting devices on or unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) on or over the property is not permitted without a special use permit (SUP) from the State historic site / park.
  • Commercial photography is not permitted on the property without a special use permit (SUP) from the historic site / park.
  • Interior photography, videotaping or audio taping are not permitted in the historic structure / visitor center / museum, except by prior written permission and for educational purposes only.
  • Non-commercial photography is permitted on the property (outside), but please help preserve the historic site / park and any surrounding property by not attaching anything to, climbing or sitting on historic structures and features or disturbing any plants, wild or cultivated. Photography may not interfere with other visitors to the historic site / park or impede site operations.
  • Food and beverages; pets/animals, except for service animals, are not permitted in the historic structure / visitor center / museum.
  • Please refrain from touching objects/furnishings in and building components of historic structures and museums, except where invited to do so by staff.

Please contact this historic site / park with specific inquiries about any of these restrictions, as there may be some variations at this specific historic site / park.

Photo Gallery


Related Links

Dr. James Still Historic Office and Education Center
MHS Home


Phone Number

211 Old Church Rd, Medford, NJ 08055

Mailing Address
54 Chapel Hill Rd., Mt Laurel, NJ 08054

Historic Site Hours

Grounds Hours Dawn to Dusk
Tour Hours Please call site for hours of operation

Historic Site Fees

Entrance Fee None. Additional programming & event fees may apply.

Other Related Fees
Map / Directions

GPS Coordinates
39.915443, -74.822848