Professional Development Offerings – School Year 2021-2022
To support schools to meet the in service training requirements under the Bilingual Education administrative code (N.J.A.C. 6A:15-1.8) and the Every Student Succeeds Act Title III ESEA Section §3115(c), the N.J. Department of Education (NJDOE) will provide professional development to all educators (N.J.A.C. 6A:8-3.1) who support the academic and English language development of English language learners (ELLs).
Required participation from educators/personnel who:
- Provide in-class instruction, such as ESL, bilingual and mainstream teachers to ELLs
- Supervise bilingual/ESL/dual language programs
- Observe and evaluate teachers of ELLs
Professional development will focus on sustained, job-embedded, and data-driven professional development activities that will support educators to:
- Implement instructional strategies and appropriate assessments to help ELLs meet the NJSLS and the WIDA English language development standards
- Understand the use of curricula, assessment measures, and instructional strategies for ELLs students
Ongoing/Self Pace Toxic Stress & Well-Being among Students Affected by Forced Migration (Open to all educators, counselors, etc.)
09/01/2021 – 08/21/2022 WIDA Self-Paced eWorkshop Package
(Open to all educators, must have WIDA login – e-Learning Courses tile)
Ongoing /Self-Pace NJDOE Entry and Exit Requirements for ELLs
Ongoing/Self-Pace NJDOE NJSMART and ELLs
Ongoing/Self-Pace NJDOE Three Year Plan
School Year 2021 – 2022
Registration will open approximately one month prior on the NJDOE Events Page. Registration instructions:
- Each individual must register only for themselves; people with multiple registrations will be deleted.
- Ensure your email is entered correctly.
- After registration, if you no longer are able to attend, contact Bilingual/ESL Unit to remove you from the list or alternatively designate a colleague to attend with your credentials; there is often a waitlist.
- Do not register for a training if your schedule does not permit live participation.
- Interested educators who are unable to attend trainings may reach out to the Bilingual/ESL Unit after the training for a recording, if available.
Pending Stockton Sheltered English Instruction Online
08/04-08/05/21, 08/23/2021 WestEd Sheltered English Instruction Train-the-Trainer
10/19-20/2021 NJDOE New Bilingual/ESL Supervisors Training Part I and II
10/27/2021 NJDOE Experienced Bilingual/ESL Supervisors Training(AM)
10/27/2021 NJDOE Experienced Bilingual/ESL Supervisors Training (PM)
10/22 and 10/29/2021 WIDA: Nurturing Speaking Growth (Live Webinar Dates)
11/03 and 11/10/2021 WIDA: Nurturing Speaking Growth (Live Webinar Dates)
11/18/2021 NJDOE Three Year Plan Content & Form Training
12/07/2021 NJDOE ELL Topics: Bilingual Programs in N.J. & Parents Rights – Policy (Part 1 of 4 - LEAs)
01/2022 WIDA: Learning through 2 Languages for School Leaders
02/2022 WIDA: Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
02/17/2022 NJDOE ELL Topics: Bilingual Programs in N.J. & Parents Rights – District Strategies (Part 2 of 4 - LEAs)
03/09/2022 NJDOE Bilingual-ESL Policy and Program Requirements (Charters Only)
03/9/2022 WIDA: Reading Supports for Multilinguals (15 weeks)
04/05/2021 NJDOE ELL Topics: Bilingual Programs in N.J. & Parents Rights – What does it mean that my child is an “ELL”? (Part 3 of 4 – Parents)
06/08/2022 NJDOE ELL Topics: Bilingual Programs in N.J. & Parents Rights – Parent to Parent (Part 4 of 4 – Parents)