APPLYING FOR A SUBSTITUTE OR CTE SUBSTITUTE CREDENTIAL
The steps for credential application are depicted and described below.
- Seek a sponsor district or organization for criminal history clearance
The sponsoring organization should be the candidate's teacher preparation program, school district, or vendor organization the candidate will serve. If the candidate plans to substitute in multiple districts, he or she must select at least one for application purposes.
- Pay administrative fees for the criminal history background clearance on the New Jersey Department of Education Criminal History Website ($11).
- Go to the IdentoGO website in order to:
- Schedule an appointment
- Pay fingerprinting fees ($67.45 for those who have never been fingerprinted in NJ)
- Fill out IdentoGO New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form
- Get fingerprinted – make sure to bring the following:
- Picture ID (Note: Foreign passports will no longer be accepted as proof of identification)
- IdentoGO NJ Universal Fingerprint Form
- Verify criminal history status.
For more detailed instructions on criminal history clearance click here.
- Deliver the following information to your County Office of Education (please contact them prior for times of operation):