SketchUp Pro is a 3D modeling software application that is used extensively by schools worldwide. Although there is a free version of SketchUp, there is also a Pro version which is typically a product for which schools must pay. The SketchUp Pro Statewide K-12 Licensing Grant is now being offered to all states within the USA who want to provide an opportunity for their public schools to use this valuable tool, at no cost. New Jersey has applied for and been granted a Statewide K-12 SketchUp Pro license.
SketchUp Pro is used in many K-12 subject areas, from math and science, to computer technology and English, to pre-architecture and engineering classes. Elementary, middle, and high schools all use it to various extents. It's also used widely in conjunction with Google Earth, where anyone can model a building, upload it to the 3D Warehouse and geo-locate it in Google Earth.
Please read the FAQ below for more information and then submit a request for a SketchUp Pro license at https://tinyurl.com/NJDOESketchUp
PLEASE NOTE that the SketchUp Pro license request is a school-level request, not a district level request. Each school must apply separately for a license. Each school request for a license should be completed and submitted by the person in the district who is authorized to request and install software.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is SketchUp Pro?
SketchUp Pro, by Trimble Navigation, is software that creates 3D models of anything. Teachers use this versatile 21st century learning tool across grade levels and subject areas to bring the power of 3D visualization into learning activities.
Trimble recommends that teachers download Google Earth as well — SketchUp Pro works effectively with the geographic information software. Learners model real-world buildings and sites, then geo-locate them for context. Visit Google Earth, http://www.google.com/earth/.
What is the SketchUp Pro Statewide License Grant?
The grant makes it possible to offer SketchUp Pro educational licenses for New Jersey public schools at no cost.
Are there any hidden costs?
No, this type of licensing is a grant of networked lab seats, single-user educator licenses and laptop computers. There is no cost.
What types of licenses can schools receive?
- A networked lab license for Mac or Windows platform for up to 300 simultaneous users.
- Set of single-user licenses for up to 30 educators in the building whose computers are not connected to a network.
- A laptop license for Mac or Windows platform for up to 299 simultaneous users. This type of license is for laptops that need functionality both on and off the school network. They are configured as single-user licenses but can be installed or imaged on multiple machines.
How does a nonpublic school apply for a license?
The SketchUp Pro Statewide Grant is only available for public schools. Non-public schools are not eligible.
How does the SketchUp Pro lab licensing work?
This is a floating lab license meant to be used on a computer in a school lab. The license code will accommodate up to 300 networked PCs that are using the software simultaneously. However, the software can be installed on as many PC's as needed.
- If you are using the license code on a Windows-based network, one of your computers must act as a license server — networked machines in the lab must be able see the license-holding PC.
- If you are using the license code on a Mac network, no server is necessary.
Is the SketchUp license perpetual or termed?
All license codes are good for three years. You may reapply once it expires.
Are students able to use SketchUp Pro at home?
No. We recommend that students download SketchUp Make, (http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make), designed for home use. It's free, too.
Are teachers eligible for free technical support?
No. Only the license administrators with active SketchUp Pro lab licenses are eligible for free email technical support.
If you need help, please keep in mind that answers to most questions can be found in the SketchUp Help Center . It's free, it's exhaustive, and it's available 24 hours a day. (http://help.sketchup.com )
Where can teachers get training on SketchUp Pro?
- Start with a series of basics video tutorials
- Learn SketchUp in a classroom environment from an instructor-led, hands-on, training class
- Narrated videos that cover everything from basic to advanced SketchUp topics
- Self-Paced Tutorials
What are the System Requirements for SketchUp Pro 2013 and 2014?
PC's require Windows Vista, 7 or 8, and Macintosh computers require OS X 10.7, 10.8 or 10.9 with an Intel processor.
Are there online educational resources for SketchUp Pro?
Yes. Visit the SketchUp Education Resources site.