Health Insurance Continuation

The New Jersey Health Insurance Continuation Program (HICP) is a special program for New Jersey residents with HIV or AIDS. This program allows you to keep your health insurance when you can no longer work or when you can only work part time. If you qualify, HICP will pay the monthly payments (premiums) for your health insurance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why wouldn't I automatically lose my health insurance if my hours are reduced from full-time to part-time, or I become unemployed?

By law, you may have the right to continue your health insurance at your own expense. The New Jersey HICP can help by paying these premiums but you must act promptly! If you expect to have trouble paying your medical premiums, apply for help immediately.

Top ^
What if I work in a small company?

Even though the law does not apply to small employers, these companies often have policies allowing people to continue their insurance after they leave.

Top ^
What if I bought my own insurance

If you have HIV/AIDS, the HICP helps you keep the health insurance you have, even privately purchased insurance.

Top ^
Who is eligible?

An individual can earn up to $58,850 annually. An additional $20,800 is allowed for each household dependent. Income guidelines are updated in March each year.

Top ^
How do I apply?

The same application is used for HICP and for the AIDS Drug Distribution Program (ADDP). You can request an application by calling 1-877-613-4533, the AIDS Drug Distribution Program Office. The completed application must be returned to the New Jersey ADDP Office at the address below.

New Jersey ADDP Office
PO Box 722
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0722

Top ^
You must provide:
Top ^
Once I qualify, how will the program pay my insurance premiums?

The New Jersey HICP staff will work with your employer or former employer and your insurance company to make arrangements for the payments.

Top ^
How long will this help be available?

The program will pay your health insurance premiums as long as you continue to be eligible for the program. The law requires that you act within 60 days of leaving your job or of changing to part-time work if you wish to continue your health insurance coverage.

If you think you may qualify and need help making insurance payments, YOU MUST ACT NOW. Apply for the Health Insurance Continuation Program (HICP).

Call 1-877-613-4533

or write to:

New Jersey ADDP Office
PO Box 722
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0722

For services to women, children and adolescents with HIV, you may contact:

Family Centered HIV Care Network
Special Child Health and Early Intervention Services
PO Box 364, Trenton, NJ 08625-0364
Phone: (609) 777-7795
Fax: (609) 292-3580

County-Specific Assistance

  1. If you live in Bergen or Passaic Counties, contact the Bergen-Passaic TGA
    Office of AIDS, City of Paterson,
    Department of Human Resources
    125 Ellison
    Paterson, NJ 07505
    Phone: (973)-321-1242, ext 6
    Fax: (973) 321-1225
  2. If you live in Hudson County, contact the Jersey City TGA
    Hudson County Department of Human Services
    County Avenue, Bldg 2
    Secaucus, NJ 07904
    Phone: (201) 271-4357
  3. If you live in Middlesex, Somerset or Hunterdon Counties, contact the Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon TGA
    Ryan White Program, Middlesex County Department of Human Services
    1 JFK Square, 5th Floor
    New Brunswick, NJ 08901
    County, Department of Human Services
    Phone: (732) 745-3149
    Fax: (732) 745-2568
  4. If you live in Essex, Union, Morris, Sussex or Warren Counties, contact the Newark EMA
    Ryan White Program
    Newark Department of Health and Human Services
    110 William Street
    Newark, NJ 0701
    Phone: (973) 733-4818
    Fax: (973) 733-5444
  5. If you live in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, or Salem Counties
    Contact the Philadelphia EMA
    AIDS Activities Coordinating Office (AACO)
    City of Philadelphia, Department of Public Health
    1101 Market Street, 9th Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    Phone: (215) 685-5667
    Fax: (215) 685-5223

  6. If you live in Cumberland County, contact the Vineland-Bridgeton-Millville TGA
    Tri-County Community Action Agency
    110 Cohansey Street
    Bridgeton, NJ 08302
    Phone: (856) 451-6630, ext 267
    Fax: (856) 455-7288
Top ^
Last Reviewed: 4/23/2018