skip to main contentskip to main navigation
State of New Jersey Deapartment of Human Services title graphic  
Division of Family Development
DHS Home
Division of Family Development Home
Services & Programs for Individuals & Families
Child Care
Child Support
Drug/Alcohol Assistance
Earned Income Tax Credit
Emergency Assistance (General Assistance)
End Hunger NJ
Energy Assistance Programs (DCA)
General Assistance (WorkFirst NJ)
Home Energy Assistance or LIHEAP - "Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program" (DCA)
SAIF - Supportive Assistance to Individuals and Families Program
Social Services for the Homeless (SSH)
Special Initiatives & Transportation (SIT)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Supplemental Work Support
Support for Working Families (Post-TANF Support Services)
Transportation Assistance
Transitional Child Care
WorkFirst NJ (NJ's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - TANF)
Career Advancement Vouchers
County Welfare Agencies/Boards of Social Services
Victims of Family/Domestic Violence
Drug & Alcohol Abuse/Criminal Convictions
Early Employment Initiative
Emergency Assistance
Families First Card Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
Health Care
Important Phone Numbers/Hotlines
Important Questions to Ask Your Caseworker
Individual Responsibility Plan
It Pays to Work
LIHEAP - Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
Substance Abuse Initiative
Supplemental Work Support
SAIF - Supportive Assistance to Individuals and Families Program
Support Services
Support for Working Families (Post-TANF Support Services)
TANF Initiative for Parents (TIP)
Time Limits
Unemployment Benefits
Work Activities
Work Expenses
News, Publications, Reports & Resources
Information for Providers & Stakeholders: Contracts, Legal Notices
Division Staff & Contact Information
Public Advisory Boards, Commissions & Councils
OPRA Requests
New Jersey Helps
NJ 211 Community Resource Website
New Jersey Housing Resource Center
New Jersey Mental Health Cares Hotline
NJ Family Care

Support Services for WFNJ

Child Care

You may need to find child care so that you can work, look for work or participate in another work activity. WorkFirst NJ (WFNJ) can provide you with child care services while you are in an approved work activity.

You will not be required to work until child care is found; however, while you're looking for services, you will use up time toward your five-year limit.

For more information about child care, call toll-free: 1-800-332-9227

Or visit the Child Care website here.

Work Expenses

Some jobs require special clothing or equipment, such as uniforms, tools and driver's licenses. WFNJ can provide up to $500 in vouchers over your five-year lifetime schedule for these items. Ask your caseworker about assistance to cover these work-related expenses.

Health Care

If you have dependent children, your family may be eligible for health benefits -through a program called Medicaid - based on your income and situation. Medicaid is a separate program from WFNJ, but when you apply for WFNJ benefits, your caseworker will also determine your Medicaid eligibility. As your income changes, so will your Medicaid eligibility.

For more information, call the Medicaid Hotline toll-free: 1-800-356-1561

NOTE: If you are a single adult or a couple without dependent children who receives WFNJ General Assistance (GA), you are eligible for medical coverage while you are receiving cash assistance.


You may also be able to get assistance with travel costs while you are looking for a job, engaged in an approved work activity or taking your child to and from a child care facility (in conjunction with work or work-related activities). You may receive a voucher for daily or weekly transportation costs. If you take public transportation, you may receive free or half-price bus or train passes from your County Board of Social Services or welfare agency.


You may be eligible to receive NJ SNAP benefits to help pay for food for you and your family. The NJ SNAP Program is separate from welfare; but your county Board of Social Services or welfare agency will determine whether you qualify.

To find out more information call 1-800-687-9515 or to apply online click here

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

If you need help to pay your heating bills or medically-necessary air conditioning -- even if your heat is included in your rent -- you may be eligible for LIHEAP.

Call toll-free 1-800-510-3102 for more information, or visit

Universal Service Fund (USF)

USF can help make energy bills more affordable to low-income new Jersey residents. If you are eligible, USF can lower the amount you have to pay for natural gas and electric bills.

Call toll-free 1-866-240-1347 for more information or visit
the Universal Service Fund website.


NOTE: If you are receiving Food Stamps, you may be considered automatically for the LIHEAP and USF programs. But if you are getting Food Stamps and are not receiving the energy assistance. Contact your case manager, visit the website at www. or call the LIHEAP and USF programs directly toll-free at 1-800-510-3102.

Families First card

  WFNJ uses a "Families First" debit card for you to access cash assistance and Food Stamp benefits. The card can be used to withdraw cash benefits from Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) or to purchase food at grocery stores.

Click here for more information.






Updated  04/01/16

OPRA - Open Public Records Act NJ Home Logo
Department: DHS Home  |  DHS Services A to Z  |  Consumers & Clients - Individuals and Families  |  Important Resources  |  Divisions & Offices  |  Commissioner & Key Staff  |  Disaster & Emergency Help & Information  |  Press Releases, Public and Legislative Affairs, & Publications  |  Providers & Stakeholders: Contracts, Legal Notices, Licensing, MedComms  |  Get Involved with DHS!  |  Notice of Non-Discrimination  |  Taglines for Language Services
Statewide: NJHome  |  Services A to Z  |  Departments/Agencies  |  FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 - 2008