Top navigation
Assistance for Hurricane Evacuees in New Jersey

Getting Started




Social Security

Applying for
Services in NJ

Child Care
Cash Assistance
Health Care
Mental Health
Insurance Questions

Locating Loved Ones



Drivers License or ID Card
New or Replacement Social Security Card

Replacement Drivers License or ID card
An evacuee of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi may request a replacement Drivers License or Identification Card (ID) by completing the replacement application for the specific state.

  • All requests require a signature for verification. If you submit an application without the signature of the person on the Drivers License/ID, the request will not be processed.
  • In the remarks section of the application, the applicant should provide contact information, including phone, mobile phone, or pager number, if possible. List the reason for being out of state as “evacuation due to Hurricane Katrina.”

Individuals currently licensed or having possessed a Louisiana identification card can apply for a free reconstructed drivers license or ID card. The completed application must include the person’s full name, date of birth, race, sex, social security number, a “mail to” address, and a telephone number, if possible. The application must be signed by the applicant since the signature comparison will be their “proof of identification.” Every effort will be made to process and mail the drivers license or ID card within a 72 hour turnaround period.

Evacuees located outside of Louisiana should call

  • 1-225-925-4195 or 1-877-DMV-LINE (1-877-368-5463)
  • Fax numbers:

Evacuees located inside Louisiana should call 1-225-925-4610 or 1-225-925-3993.

Online, check the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles or Louisiana Express Lane

Contact the Alabama Department of Public Safety Driver License Division online or by calling toll-free 1-866-283-2838.

Contact the Mississippi Department of Public Safety Driver License Division online or by calling 1-601-987-1200.

Legal Services
Legal Services of New Jersey is offering to assist any evacuee with civil issues. Please visit online or call toll-free 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529).

New Jersey Drivers License or ID Card
Evacuees who wish to obtain a New Jersey Drivers License or ID will be required to meet the New Jersey documentation requirements. Further information is available on the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Web site.


New or Replacement Social Security Card
Anyone receiving Social Security payments that have been interrupted by Hurricane Katrina can go to any Social Security office to get an emergency payment.

For information about changing mailing addresses, obtaining a new card, arranging for direct deposit, or locating the nearest Social Security office, call 1-800-772-1213 or check Social Security Information for People Affected by Hurricane Katrina. On the Internet, you can also download the Social Security Card application form. (PDF)


Bottom navigation
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments |
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2005
New Jersey Home Page Citizen Business Goverment Services A to Z Departments Contact Us Privacy Notice Legal Statement Accessibility Statement New Jersey Home Page