Department of Defense Policy
The Department of Defense policy may authorize flyovers for these aviation-related public events:
- Air Shows
- Events in observance of, and occurring within 7 days of, patriotic holidays - Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, POW/MIA Day, and Veterans Day.
“Missing Man” flyovers are performed only for funerals of rated pilots and aircrew members and are not covered in the Community Relations Program.
Fixed-wing aircraft (airplanes) are requested through the Air Force. Rotary-wing aircraft (helicopters) are requested through the Army.
Notes on flyover requests:
- Your request should be submitted 90 days prior to the event to be considered for support. Less than 90 days notice greatly reduces the chance that support will be available.
- Requests received within 30 days of the event will NOT be considered.
- Army and Air Force approvals are only for aircraft from the respective service. An organization wishing to have an event approved for either Army National Guard or Air National Guard aircraft must submit a request to each service. The Air Guard can only consider events approved by the Air Force and the Army Guard can only consider events approved by the Army.
- Aircraft availability depends on training schedules, mission requirements and crew availability. An approved request does not guarantee aircraft availability.
To start a fixed wing flyover request, visit https://www.airshows.pa.hq.af.mil/PublicSite/index.cfm?fwa=newreq and click “create new request.” First-time requestors must create an account.
Complete sections I, II, III, V and VII of the DD2535 Request for Military Aerial Support form and email the form to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) responsible for your event location. To find the appropriate FSDO office, visit the FAA website.
To determine if your flyover request has been approved visit the U.S. Air Force Aerial Events website: airshows.pa.hq.af.mil.
Once your request has been approved, event organizers seeking specific unit support from the New Jersey Air National Guard must request an aircraft by calling directly to the New Jersey Air Guard Public Affairs Offices:
108th Wing (KC-135) 609-754-4173
177th Fighter Wing (F-16) 609-761-6259
Static displays of New Jersey Army National Guard aircraft may be requested by submitting a DD2535 Request for Military Aerial Support form via email to the Public Affairs Office at the point of contact below.
Complete sections I, II, and III; describe the event and how military aviation supports program goals and themes in section V; complete section VI where applicable and sign section VII. A response to the requestor indicated in block 9 will follow upon review by the Public Affairs Office and State Army Aviation Office.
MAJ Amelia Thatcher