The educational benefits provided to Air National Guard members vary from state to state. New Jersey is one of the few states within our nation to provide free college credits to Guard members. The New Jersey free tuition bill provides the opportunity to receive up to 16 undergraduate or graduate college credits per semester while serving as a member of the NJ Air National Guard. This benefit can be used at the educational institutions listed below.
Free Tuition Guidelines
All members of the NJ Air National Guard may receive up to 16 undergraduate or graduate college credits per semester, tuition FREE at any public college or university in New Jersey.
Eligible NJ Colleges & Universities
Atlantic Cape Community College
Bergen Community College
Brookdale Community College
Camden County College
The College of New Jersey
Essex County College
Hudson County Community College
Mercer County Community College
Middlesex County College
Montclair State University
County College of Morris
New Jersey City University
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Ocean County College
Passaic County Community College
Ramapo College of NJ
Raritan Valley Community College
Rowan College at Burlington County
Rowan College of South Jersey
Salem Community College
Sussex County Community College
Thomas Edison State University
Union County College
Warren County Community College
William Paterson University of NJ
Montgomery GI Bill
What is the GI Bill?
What is the GI Bill?
- An educational assistance entitlement for all unit members who qualify.
- 36 months of assistance when enrolled as a full-time student in an approved learning institution, or the equivalent enrollment, if less than a full-time student.
Who is Eligible?
- All members, both enlisted & officers, of any reserve component.
- Members who have a high school, GED, or college degree.
- Traditional guardsmen/women, full-time technicians, AGRs (only those AGRs who started an AGR tour prior to November 1, 1989, and who had already established eligibility).
- Members not currently using the VEAP program, or collecting Chapter 30, Active Duty benefits. Note: AGRs are also entitled to Active Duty Tuition Assistance (75% tuition paid) - for information, contact the education office at McGuire AFB 609-724-3019.
What are the Requirements?
- Training must be through a Department Veterans Affair (VA) approved institution. Training can be received through an accredited college, vocational/technical school, or through an approved Independent Study Program.
- Members with less than a BA/BS degree must have enlisted/reenlisted/extended for 6 years after 1 July 1985; members who have a BA/BS degree or higher must have enlisted/reenlisted/extended for 6 years after 1 October 1990. Note: Only the BA/BS Degree program is available to those members who have not enlisted/reenlisted/extended after 1 Oct 90. Enrollment in all other programs require enlistment/reenlistment/extension for 6 years starting after 1 Oct 1990.
Program is administered by, and benefits paid by the VA. School attendance criteria to qualify for full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time, or part-time benefits will be determined by the VA.