New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Veterans Veterans Service Offices

New Jersey Veterans Service Office

Through our network of regional Veterans Service Offices, the N.J. Division of Veterans Services, Bureau of Veterans Benefits provides the state's 413,000 veterans and their dependents with information and guidance in filing claims. Trained veterans service officers at those offices also assist veterans with issues pertaining to employment, education, burial, counseling, housing, social and medical services, and other areas of concern to veterans and their families. Please make every effort to use these valuable services.

The state of New Jersey, through the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, pays $750 a year to those veterans who are receiving VA compensation entitlements for 100 percent disability ratings and who have the following disabilities:

  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Hemiplegia
  • Blindness
  • Paraplegia
  • Double Amputee
  • Quadriplegia
  • Osteochondritis

In the absence of one of the above, a veteran may qualify if in receipt of a single 100 percent war-time service-connected disability or a combination of permanent war-time service-connected disabilities totaling 100 percent that are equivalent to the symptoms of one or a combination of the seven above disabilities.

To qualify, service must have been during a time of war and the veteran must have been a resident of New Jersey at the time of entry into the military and when applying for the entitlement. The law now includes payment to the surviving spouse of the veteran.

Any veteran or surviving spouse receiving the entitlement who is required to move from the state for reasons of health or employment may be entitled to continue to receive the compensation under certain conditions.

Application may be made through any State Veterans Service Office. Download application for Catastrophic Entitlement Program.

- NJ Dept of Military and Veterans Affairs Veterans Service Offices
- Veterans Organizations' Service Offices
- NJ County Veterans Service Offices

Offers referral assistance to those who are homeless, involuntarily displaced or in imminent danger of losing their home. Call 609-530-6826.

This psychiatric disorder can occur following military combat, violent assaults, natural disasters, terrorist incidents or any other life-threatening event. The New Jersey Division of Veterans Services provides veterans with a Readjustment Counseling Program. New Jersey veterans and their families are currently provided services ranging from individual counseling, group counseling, Biofeedback to medication monitoring. The clinicians provide exceptional services to veterans and their families and address the problems encountered when reintegrating into civilian life. It is important to recognize the stressors and traumas of these combat veterans, raise awareness of civilians back home, and meet the clinical needs of our veterans.

This program assists the veteran in need of transportation. The program originated due to the distance many N.J. veterans had to travel to get to a VA facility for medical care. Free transportation is offered to VA medical centers, clinics, pharmacies, private physicians, regional veterans services offices or job service offices, and other community services in most counties. The state veterans service officer in the county should be contacted to explain the details of the program, level of service in that county, qualifications and requirements, and assist in scheduling the transportation. Contact local Veterans Service Office.

Education Programs

Children of those service personnel who died while in the military or due to service-connected disabilities, or who are officially listed as missing in action by the U.S. Dept. of Defense may claim $500 per year for four years of college or equivalent training. To qualify, the child must be a resident of New Jersey for at least one year immediately preceding the filing of the application and be between the ages of 16 and 21 at the time of application. The veteran must have been a state resident.

Free undergraduate college tuition is available to any child born or adopted before or during the period of time his or her parent was officially declared a prisoner of war (POW) or person missing in action (MIA) after Jan. 1, 1960. The POW-MIA must have been a New Jersey resident at the time he or she entered the service or whose official residence is in N.J. The child must attend either a public or private institution in N.J. A copy of DD 1300 must be furnished with the application.

Veterans attending any approved educational institution may apply for the Veterans Tuition Credit Program. Under the program, partial reimbursement is provided to the institution to offset the cost of the veteran's tuition. Maximum reimbursement is $400 per year for full-time students, $200 for part-time students. To qualify, the veteran must have been on active duty between Dec. 31, 1960, and May 7, 1975, and have been a legal resident of N.J. at the time of entrance into or discharge from the service, or two years immediately prior to application.

Download application for Veterans Tuition Credit Program

Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
NJ National Guard Family Programs Open Public Records Act
The Governor's Office The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs The Department of State The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs