Name Change


If your current legal name is different from the name that appears on your civil birth certificate then you must show legal proof of the name change. Legal proof includes a certified marriage or civil union certificate, a divorce decree or a court order linking the new name with the previous name. A divorce decree may be used as authority to resume using a previous name only if it contains the new name and the previous name, and permits the individual to once again use the previous name.

A name change can be processed at any MVC Licensing Center on a walk-in basis. Bring all the required documentation in order to complete this transaction, as well as your “6 points” documents.

All documents must be original or certified copies and have the required municipal and/or State seals. To obtain certified copies of New Jersey records, you should contact the municipality that originally issued the document and/or contact the State Office of Vital Statistics and Registry by visiting or by calling (609) 292-4087. If your birth certificate was issued by Jersey City or Hudson County, and you were born before 1965, you must visit or call (609) 292-4087.

If the required documents for a name change are not in English, they must be accompanied by a translation from an approved translator or translation service.  This list of approved translators may be viewed at:

Certain documents may require proof of legal U.S. presence. To obtain a list of those documents, visit or call the MVC’s Customer Support Line at (609) 292-6500 weekdays (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.