Foreign Vehicles

How to title vehicles purchased from foreign countries

You must submit your request to the central MVC office to obtain a title on a foreign vehicle. Local MVC Agencies cannot issue this type of transfer. To make sure you have all the required paperwork, please call (609) 292-6500 ext. 5064.

Mail requests to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Title Unit
225 East State Street 2 East
Trenton, NJ 08666

The only exceptions are vehicles purchased from:

  • Guam, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands; or
  • Cherokee Nation

To register your vehicle

Before you can register a foreign vehicle, you have to get it titled in New Jersey. Once your vehicle has a title, you may visit any MVC Agency to register with the state.

  • If you are relocating from Canada with a Canadian title in your name, you can title and register it at any MVC Agency


Foreign tourists with valid driver licenses from certain countries may drive personal or rental cars if you are:

  • Visiting the United States for one year or less
  • Not authorized to work or attend school in the U.S.

You can drive a personal vehicle while visiting the country as long as you display the International Distinguishing Sign on the rear exterior of the vehicle (excluding Canada and Mexico).

The International Distinguishing Sign is an oval standardized sign composed of three black capital letters on a white background, indicating where the vehicle is registered.