The following sections contain instructions on how to title a pre-owned (used) vehicle; registration information is also included for your convenience. Please read all information carefully to determine which set of instructions
applies to your situation.
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned in New Jersey
You will need the following:
- The title properly assigned (includes seller/buyer name and address and signatures, the date of sale, purchase price, and buyer’s driver license number)
- A Vehicle Registration Application (Form BA-49 found only at motor vehicle agencies).
- A Power of Attorney (POA) if applicable.
- A POA is needed only if someone other than the purchaser is signing the documents on behalf of the purchaser.
- Purchaser’s actual driver's license or identification document.
- A copy is acceptable if a POA is being used.
- Proof of New Jersey insurance.
- Payment fee for titling:
- $60 for a standard vehicle.
- $85 for a financed vehicle with one lien.
- $110 for a financed vehicle with two liens.
- The MVC accepts American Express®, Visa® card, MasterCard® card, check, money order or cash.
- Payment fee for registration; as noted above this will vary depending on the type of vehicle. License plates are included.
- Payment for the sales tax fee. If you need assistance with calculating the tax, please call the New Jersey Division of Taxation at 609-984-6206.
- If the vehicle is leased/financed, then you will also need the lien holder’s information and financing statement Financing Statement/Procedure to Add a
lien (Form OS/SS-85c).
- If the purchaser is a company or business an Entity Identification
Number (EIN – formerly corpcode) add link to new EIN page and a Federal Tax ID number are needed.
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned in a state that issues titles
You will need all of the items (10 total) listed in the previous section, plus the following:
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned in a state that does not issue titles
You will need all of the items listed in the first section (10 total), plus the following:
- A notarized statement from the seller to the buyer that includes all of the following information about the vehicle sale: year manufactured, make, VIN, date of sale, and price of purchase. Both parties must sign the statement
prior to having it notarized.
- A pencil tracing or a printed-out photograph of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate.
- The last registration card that the seller has for the vehicle showing that the vehicle was registered and owned by the seller.
- Completed Application for Certificate of Ownership (Form OS/SS-7).
To Title and Register a vehicle that was Pre-Owned and purchased at an
You will need all of the item listed in the first section (10 total), plus the following:
- The current title with a sales tax stamp, if sales tax has already been paid.
- If vehicle is non-titled, the last previously issued registration document and the bill of sale.
- An additional Power of Attorney (POA) issued to the auction-house from the dealer.
- Dealer reassignment documentation, if applicable.
- A purchase order if there is no New Jersey Dealer Tax Stamp on the assigned title.