Replacing A Lost Vehicle Registration

If you qualify for online replacement of your registration you MUST replace it online.


To replace a lost vehicle registration

To replace a lost vehicle registration for a leased vehicle

    • Contact your leasing company for legal permission to obtain a duplicate registration. Power of Attorney (POA) must include:
      • Lessee name (person leasing vehicle).
      • Statement authorizing lessee to sign application.
      • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), year, make and model of vehicle.
    • Make an appointment for a duplicate title/registration.
    • You will need the following:
      • A driver's license or other valid form of identification.
      • A New Jersey insurance identification card or receipt from a previous registration or title transaction.
      • An original copy of the power of attorney (POA) - OR Leasing companies may fax permission directly to any agency. For fax numbers, please call the MVC Customer Support line at (609) 292-6500 weekdays (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.. 
      • A completed Vehicle Application Registration Form (Form BA-49).
      • Fee for a duplicate registration.

For your convenience, the MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard®, Visa® card, Discover card®, checks, money orders, and cash.


Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2021